Greek Cuisine

Good question. Probably not enough although I have quite a few Greek cookbooks. Moussaka of course, Kleftiko, Tzatziki, Stiffado - the obvious ones - oh and Dolmades. One thing I really like about Greek cooking is the use of cinnamon in savoury dishes. I also think the Greek are great on lamb dishes (a meat I particularly like).

The only thing I have made is the cucumber dip tzatziki and vegetables and marinaded meat on skewers for the barbecue similar to souvlaki.

It was in Crete that I first had any Greek cuisine and discovered that I could enjoy tomatoes. Sharing a Greek salad with Mr K, I ate all the cucumber and he had all the tomatoes but by the end of the holiday I had discovered tomatoes were fresh and sweet tasting. They're not as nice back in the UK, but I will always pay extra for the more flavoured ones. Unfortunately, he still won't eat cucumber, although I can sneak a bit of cubed cucumber into a mixed salad as long as I don't do it very often!

Baklava <3 - there are no words to describe their deliciousness.
Pistachios <3 especially ice cream.

We've made spanakopita, moussaka, tzatziki, meatballs, braised lamb shanks, roast leg of lamb, grilled lamb lolipops, grilled octopus, shawarma and saganaki flamed with ouzo. I'm not a big fan of the dolmades and I'm not sure I want to try retsina.

Moussaka and tzatziki are lovely.

We are going to Kos in May so looking forward to trying proper greek food.

The only Greek stuff I have tried has been the supermarket interpretation because we don't appear to have a Greek community or if we do they keep to themselves.

I really like Greek food though I don't cook it as often as I should. I think @morning glory is right...its the use of cinnamon with meat that makes it stand out from other Mediterranean cuisines.

One of my favourites is Youvetsi - a tomato based meat sauce, mixed with orzo pasta baked in the oven and sprinkled with cheese. I first had it on holiday in Rhodes when I was about 7 years old and its so easy to make at home.

Another favourite is Tirokafteri which is a dip made from feta blended with chilli, olive oil and lemon juice. There are lots of different recipes for it...some add garlic too or use vinegar instead of the olive oil. You can mix and match the quantities to your own personal taste.

Loads & loads over the years. In high school I had a friend who was born in Greece. Helen gave me my first spinach & cheese filo pastry. I remember quizzing her on the cheeses in it as there were a few different textures. I didn’t know at age 12 what she was talking about but do now. There were tiny cubes of haloumi in amongst the feta & spinach.

I went to a Greek bbq a few years later with a whole goat on the spit and a table heaving with meze to snack on while waiting for the goat.

A few years ago I organized a lunch for a group of online foodies in Sydney. We went to the Hellenic Club and had a non stop banquet of food that went on for 5 hours. Amazing.

Some of my most used cookbooks are my Greek meze & my Lebanese meze books. I love the use of lemon, dried oregano & cinnamon.

Lalangia is on my list to make next.

Last edited:
It's a simple yeast dough that's deep fried and served with honey.. and sometime cheese & fruit.

Like a sort of doughnut? In Puerto Rico they make a deep fried yeast dough which puffs up, leaving it hollow inside. You tear it open and put honey in the pocket. They claim it helps ease the "burn" from spicy food. I think it just helps spread the heat!:heat:

Like a sort of doughnut? In Puerto Rico they make a deep fried yeast dough which puffs up, leaving it hollow inside. You tear it open and put honey in the pocket. They claim it helps ease the "burn" from spicy food. I think it just helps spread the heat!:heat:

Having now looked up Lalangia it seems there are 2 kinds (and not very many on-line recipes) :

Unknown-194.jpg

And then there is the thin sort:

247249recipepic85766.jpg

If that second kind was put through a "V" ridged die, it would look like churros. A sprinkling of cinnamon-sugar and they would be, except the churro dough is a pate choux..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom