Greek Food in Athens

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
1:28 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
More time in Athens means more great food! One thing that’s clear, though, is that “Greek food” isn’t a specific set of preparations. I have seen many different ways to serve a Greek salad, many different preparations for spinach pie, and so on. This is truly remarkable to me. Even in Detroit’s Greektown, the variations are small.

For each of the following, I will show what I’ve always seen - and loved - from a Greek dish, followed by what I have seen here. I am here a few more days, so I will probably update each category as I see something new.

Greek Salad

The perfect start to any Greek meal, I’m surprised that not everywhere has it. The Greeks like tomatoes a lot more, and I have yet to see one here that has bland pickled beets, which are a staple in the States. Also, lettuce is a rarity in Greek Greek Salads, unlike in the States

American Style

21356AD8-8EA2-4E5A-A7E0-FFA1AE05F4CF.jpeg

Greek Style

The feta cheese is also ridiculously fresh in Greece, of course.

I just realized that I will need a separate post for each food type, due to the image number limit per post.

Spanakopita (Spinach Pie)

I do love what I’ve always known as spanakopita: a thick mixture of spinach and feta cheese with flaky filo dough. The pies I’ve had in Greece have been made with the same spirit, but quite different in form.

American Style

Greek Style

These require some explanation.

This is a beautifully seasoned mass of spinach with feta crumbles over the top, sandwiched between perfectly crisp filo sheets, and Greek yogurt on the side:

These look more like pierogies, but indeed they are spinach pies: the crust is a filo formed into a half moon shape, and stuffed with a spinach and feta blend, then deep fried. Greek yogurt is dusted with paprika in the middle of the plate.

Pita Bread

I love pita bread in any context: by itself is great, dipping it in tzatziki sauce is better, and using it to make a sandwich or a wrap always makes the contents better. But, I’ve always liked naan bread better because of the seasoning. It seems that the Greek restaurants I’ve visited (all of them) have taken a cue from the style of that region.

American Style

Greek Style

Several places grill the bread:

Some serve them in segmented strips, which are ideal for dipping in things:

And all of them season the pita bread (this one with a heavy dose of paprika):

Gyros

I recall the bewilderment from people on this side of the pond when I mentioned making gyros, and how much I loved them. I figured I’d find spectacular gyros in Athens. Here’s what I found, but first the “American” interpretation:

American Gyros

6DB1C4EE-46C6-461D-9408-695FB4025C23.jpeg

Shaved lamb meat with onions, tomatoes, and cucumbers, and a healthy dollop of tzatziki sauce. Often served with French fries.

Greek Gyros

BF74234F-9365-4585-A920-A7B74CDA0EC2.jpeg

I finally found a place that had pork gyros (above). The pork is lean and nicely charred. I ate the entire thing (the meat, not the fries, though they were also very good).

They also had these:

Souvlaki

It’s the same concept, but the meat is prepared differently. It’s delicious either way.

Kofta

Pork meatballs:

Last edited:
Finding gyros in Greece sounds like finding chicken tikka masala in India. I'm sure you can find it, but you'll get a lot of funny looks in the process.

CD
Gyros are abundant in Greece, go where the tourists are, and the closer you are to Turkey the more of a staple it becomes
If you go somewhere like Kos you can visit a gyros farm where they free range on the volcanic hillsides in small flocks. 😆

Gyros

I recall the bewilderment from people on this side of the pond when I mentioned making gyros, and how much I loved them. I figured I’d find spectacular gyros in Athens. Here’s what I found, but first the “American” interpretation:

American Gyros

View attachment 69143

Shaved lamb meat with onions, tomatoes, and cucumbers, and a healthy dollop of tzatziki sauce. Often served with other French fries.

Greek Gyros

NOTHING!

I have yet to find a place that actually serves them. I have read that there are apparently places that do, but I have not seen one yet. As you can tell, I have eaten at many different places since arriving.

Instead, I have had many of these:

Moussaka

It’s the same concept, but the meat is prepared differently. It’s delicious either way.

View attachment 69147

View attachment 69149

View attachment 69150
For Moussaka you meant Kofta didn't you.

For Moussaka you meant Kofta didn't you.
It looks like the middle one is kofta, and the other two were souvlaki. Thank you for that!

Now, I’m feeling I need to order moussaka. I did get one last time I was here, but not yet on this trip.

I love Greek food!

Back when I was in late high school, we spent a month or so of summer in Europe (a business set of trips for Dad). Unfortunately, we only had one meal in Greece, as we were waiting to go from Turkey to Israel (no direct flights for some political reasons), and so we spend the better part of the day in Greece waiting for the next flight.

I recall that we lunched at an outdoor café, but I have absolutely no recollection of what we ate. Seeing the Acropolis and environs stuck more in my mind.

On my bucket list is to get back to Greece - visit Athens and pay more attention to the food, and have more time to see antiquities. Maybe even visit a Greek Isle or three.

I very much enjoy cooking/eating Greek cuisine!!! The photos here are mouth-watering.

Back
Top Bottom