Griddle pans

FowlersFreeTime

Local time
3:49 PM
Website
www.fowlersfreetime.com
[Mod.edit: this and several following posts have been moved from another thread to form a new topic (MG)]

I was on lifehacker discussing something with someone in the comments.
When someone mentions a "grill pan" would you deny that both of these items qualify as a "grill pan" or does only the first picture qualify?
619xu1TsVYL._AC_SY450_.jpg

813uJSMU8BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on lifehacker discussing something with someone in the comments.
When someone mentions a "grill pan" would you deny that both of these items qualify as a "grill pan" or does only the first picture qualify?
View attachment 69145
View attachment 69146
They're both pans to me. I have the top one in non-stick.

That's my thinking as well. The person I was discussing it with was trying to tell me that if it straddles two burners its a "griddle" :scratchhead:
Ahhh, the seemingly ubiquitous "I know more than you" internet idiot. If I wanted to get pushy about it, I'd probably say that you need a way to distinguish between a griddle like that one and one of those plug-in electric griddles that you can buy at Target for $30...therefore, that's a griddle pan. 😬

They're both pans to me. I have the top one in non-stick.

Ahhh, the seemingly ubiquitous "I know more than you" internet idiot. If I wanted to get pushy about it, I'd probably say that you need a way to distinguish between a griddle like that one and one of those plug-in electric griddles that you can buy at Target for $30...therefore, that's a griddle pan. 😬
A griddle to me, is something totally different. My griddle is flat. Actually I have 2. Both are heavy. 1 is similar to a frying pan but With only the tiniest of sides / lips. The other is basically a thick flat metal slap rectangular in shape. Pancakes, drop scones, pikelets, scotch pancakes and oddly enough griddle scones are generally made on them. My big round are is similar to a tawa but with a heavier bottom.

A griddle to me, is something totally different. My griddle is flat.

You are correct. But in fact both types are griddle pans. Technically, the ones pictured in the top post are 'ridged griddle pans'. Over time, the 'ridged' has been more or less dropped from the name and now if you search 'griddle pan' in the US or UK you will get a lot of ridged pan results (probably because they are more popular than flat griddle pans) and a few flat griddle pan results. To get flat griddle pan results you have to include the word 'flat'.

But to answer the OP question, they are (ridged) griddle pans however may burners they straddle.

You are correct. But in fact both types are griddle pans. Technically, the ones pictured in the top post are 'ridged griddle pans'. Over time, the 'ridged' has been more or less dropped from the name and now if you search 'griddle pan' in the US or UK you will get a lot of ridged pan results (probably because they are more popular than flat griddle pans) and a few flat griddle pan results. To get flat griddle pan results you have to include the word 'flat'.

But to answer the OP question, they are (ridged) griddle pans however may burners they straddle.

Another US/UK thing. I've never heard the term "griddle pan" used here. It has always been "grill pan." I assume that is because the pan puts "grill marks" on food. But, there again, "grill" means something different here than there.

CD

Mine is somewhat like this one, but with orange on the bottom to match the cookware set. Great for making pancakes & french toast!! :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom