Grill it!

Local time
5:35 PM
Grilling is a big thing in my country and fish is the favorite thing to grill in this part of the world. Not only is it quick and easy but it's supposedly quite healthy.

it's a big business here and there is a cooking town which has been dedicated to much of it. Every Friday and Saturday visitors and tourist alike make their way to Oistins town to get their favorite plate of grilled fish with sides. It's an open air setting where stalls are set up and you get to watch as your fish is grilled in front of you. All kinds of fish can be found there; tuna. blue marlin, dolphin, bill fish to mention a few. You name it and they probably have it. Chicken and other meats might be available but they are in the minority.

How many of you grill your fish? You should try it if you haven't already.

I do not usually grill my fish; I tend to fry it more than anything else, but on occasion I would also steam it. I am aware, though, that grilled fish is healthier than fried fish. I was in the countryside with my family a few months ago and we visited a restaurant where one could order a variety of meals. Well, when I placed my order, I asked to have fried fish with my meal. However, some of the others chose grilled fish, and when we all got our meals, they allowed me to get a taste of their grilled fish. After tasting it, I was a bit sorry that I had not ordered that instead of the fried fish. I found it to be softer and better tasting too, and I also knew it was the healthier choice. Since I am usually in the habit of frying fish at home, I could have ordered the grilled fish on this occasion.

I do not usually grill my fish; I tend to fry it more than anything else, but on occasion I would also steam it. I am aware, though, that grilled fish is healthier than fried fish. I was in the countryside with my family a few months ago and we visited a restaurant where one could order a variety of meals. Well, when I placed my order, I asked to have fried fish with my meal. However, some of the others chose grilled fish, and when we all got our meals, they allowed me to get a taste of their grilled fish. After tasting it, I was a bit sorry that I had not ordered that instead of the fried fish. I found it to be softer and better tasting too, and I also knew it was the healthier choice. Since I am usually in the habit of frying fish at home, I could have ordered the grilled fish on this occasion.

Caribbean girl, I am surprise you are not into the grill fish. It's delicious if it's prepared by the right person. The health benefits might be another reason you should consider it when you are on your next outing.

Come to think of it you don't need to wait until your next trip to a restaurant. As a local girl, I recommend that you try it at home if you have a small grill. You are going to love it.

At the same time I know how great tasting fried fish can be. Maybe you can mix it up from time to time.

Yes, I definitely have to get into grilling fish. What I tasted at the restaurant has given me a reason to try it. There is a possibility that I may have had it years ago when I was younger, since the stove we had back then carried a grill, but I cannot remember. The stove which I have now does not carry a grill and that is one of the reasons I do not do a lot of grilling. If I did have a small grill, I would definitely be grilling my fish more often. As you said, I could mix the grilled fish with the fried fish from time to time.

Well what I found really works well in the absence of a grill would be to pan sear the fish. It's delicious as well. It's also quick and easy and those are my favourite words when it comes to cooking. Quick and easy and I am there.

The searing just requires just enough oil of your choice covering the surface of the frying pan under very high heat. After the oil has reached it's maximum safe heat, you place your well seasoned fish in the pan and in no time it releases all those nice juices and brown quickly on one side. Then you turn and allow to cook and brown on the opposite side. In no time it is fully "cooked" and ready to eat.

Tuna, bill fish, blue marlin and those kinds of fish are what I find good for pan searing. Not my flying fish. I like those fried or boiled. Try the pan searing and play around as I do.

Well thanks for the tip. I may very well try this some time. In any case, marlin and tuna are two of my favourite fish, especially marlin. I too like anything that is quick and easy to cook. I do not like spending a lot of hours in the kitchen. I find fish on the whole is the quickest thing to cook, however it is done, when compared to other meats like chicken, lamb or pork.

Back
Top Bottom