Grilled Onions

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
10:51 AM
Grilled Onions has become one of my favorite things to add to hot dogs and cheese burgers the last couple of years and I have been experimenting trying to find more uses for them. I tried them in Mac and cheese the other day and fell in love with that combo. What are some of the meals you add grilled onions to?

Grilled Onions has become one of my favorite things to add to hot dogs and cheese burgers the last couple of years and I have been experimenting trying to find more uses for them. I tried them in Mac and cheese the other day and fell in love with that combo. What are some of the meals you add grilled onions to?
Is this what we would understand as fried onions? Or does it mean onions cooked on a 'grooved' griddle pan? Grilling in the UK often means putting things under a grill - but it can mean putting them on a BBQ or on a George Foreman type grill. Can you describe what you are using and how you are cooking them?

Grilled onions is a rarity here, never heard of it. What we have here lately is the onion rings, that one fried with corn starch or flour. It is now a common side dish of hamburgers in those American style burger outlets. We have fried onions at home that is mixed with sliced hot dogs. But I guess that's a different dish altogether.

Is this what we would understand as fried onions? Or does it mean onions cooked on a 'grooved' griddle pan? Grilling in the UK often means putting things under a grill - but it can mean putting them on a BBQ or on a George Foreman type grill. Can you describe what you are using and how you are cooking them?
Many people will actually grill the on the outdoor BBQ using a cast iron pan, but I usually saute mine in a pan in the kitchen. We use the word grill loosely here in the US sometimes. The flavor is just about the same if you do it in the kitchen or the outdoor grill.

Many people will actually grill the on the outdoor BBQ using a cast iron pan, but I usually saute mine in a pan in the kitchen. We use the word grill loosely here in the US sometimes. The flavor is just about the same if you do it in the kitchen or the outdoor grill.
Sounds like fried onions then :giggle:. One way I would serve them is with fried liver (lamb or veal). But I'm going to hazard a guess you might not like that?! It depends on how you cook them (crispy or soft?). If crispy, then they obviously need to be used as a topping, to get the crunch. If soft, there are lots of things one can do with the, such as incorporating them in sauces.

Another twist with cooking onions is red onion marmalade ,great to eat with cheeses ,or sweeter sauces ,I always keep a tub in the fridge,
Sliced red onions
White and Demerara sugar
Thyme
Red wine and sherry
Simmer till sugars and juice from the onions thickens

I don't eat a lot of onions, but I do like fried onions and potatoes some people may call this home fries.

I have not yet tried grilling onions. What we are doing is frying onions as our side dish for pork or beef steak and as toppings to stir fried corned beef.

Sounds like fried onions then :giggle:. One way I would serve them is with fried liver (lamb or veal). But I'm going to hazard a guess you might not like that?! It depends on how you cook them (crispy or soft?). If crispy, then they obviously need to be used as a topping, to get the crunch. If soft, there are lots of things one can do with the, such as incorporating them in sauces.
I have eaten liver in the past and thought it was actually quite good. This would probably pair well with grilled onions. Last night I mixed some grilled onions in with some beef gravy and had that over mashed potatoes. The dish was delicious!

Back
Top Bottom