Grilling (Barbecuing)

A Maori hangi is done in a pit in the ground. Food placed over hot coals then covered up with wet sacks then dirt. Steams for 3 hours. It's real nice but very laborious. Hence the name of the hangi done in a drum. A 200 litre drum or 44 gallon drum. A hole about 4mm is drilled about 5 inches up from the bottom. Water is poured until it reaches the drilled hole. Then you place meat in raised baskets and a sack of vegetables. Drum sealed and gas at the Botton lit. When the hole stops spewing liquid out its cooked. I do one about every year for close family and friends. It feeds about 35?to 40. I do 2 legs of lamb a chunk of beef and about 4 chickens. It really is good and tastes just the same as a real hangi. Meat falls off the bone.

Russ

Last edited:
image.jpeg

This is my one, it has feet welded on so burner goes under. The lid is a twist type seal. Hard to find. I always on the look out to find new drums. Last one lasted about 10 years until it rusted out. This has done about 6 cooks.

Russ

A Maori hangi is done in a pit in the ground. Food placed over hot coals then covered up with wet sacks then dirt. Steams for 3 hours. It's real nice but very laborious. Hence the name of the hangi done in a drum. A 200 litre drum or 44 gallon drum. A hole about 4mm is drilled about 5 inches up from the bottom. Water is poured until it reaches the drilled hole. Then you place meat in raised baskets and a sack of vegetables. Drum sealed and gas at the Botton lit. When the hole stops spewing liquid out its cooked. I do one about every year for close family and friends. It feeds about 35?to 40. I do 2 legs of lamb a chunk of beef and about 4 chickens. It really is good and tastes just the same as a real hangi. Mega falls off the bone.

Russ

Sort of like how a pig or roast is cooked in Hawaii?

Back
Top Bottom