Grilling: Charcoal vs Gas

Nowadays we use gas for our grilling instead of charcoal like what we are doing before. When we learned that the ashes of charcoal that is being produced when grilling that sticks to the meats we are grilling is bad for our health we do not use charcoal anymore. There are now new model grilling devices using gas being sold in the market industry and it is designed for easy and safe to use. We had tried it already many times and so far we had no problem with our grilling and it is convenient to use.

I have used gas before but I must say that I prefer to use charcoal, gas may be healthier and easier to control but it seems to take much longer and cleaning out the gas braai is a mission compared to cleaning up the brick one outside, just scoop up all the ashes and wipe down the grill, easy peasy. With the gas one fat drips down onto the burners and the steel frame etc. and it's just a big mess, plus the gas might run out while your busy.

Charcoal all the way for me, food always tastes better off of the grill when it is charbroiled. I have never even owned a gas grill and doubt that I ever will.

I've always just used charcoal, and I love it, so I'd pick it everytime. I just don't see much point in grilling with gas because you probably won't get the smokey taste you'd get with using charcoal.

I've always just used charcoal, and I love it, so I'd pick it everytime. I just don't see much point in grilling with gas because you probably won't get the smokey taste you'd get with using charcoal.

Charcoal definitely has a more "barbecue" taste. But I often use gas because it's a lot cheaper. At the summer cottage I use charcoal and at home it's gas, simply because that's what I have available in these locations.

If I had to narrow it down to just one, it would be gas. My husband does not and will not eat anything off a charcoal grill. He says the taste is gross. Gas grills are alot cleaner and faster to cook on.

In my area, not many people cook with a gas grill. I started with charcoal and prefer to remain faithful until I can no longer cook. Plus, I like to experiment with different types of wood chips for that extra flavor.

Here in South Africa we BRAAI. It is a national pass time and we have even dedicated a national day to this. Almost every household in SA would commit to this at least once a week. The process is simple, you make a fire with some hard type wood such Rooikrantz or grape vines and wait for it to burn down to red hot coles. Then you pop your meat and sausage into a stainless steel grid, spice it and turn regularly.

The smokey flavor is amazing and would be similar to a BBQ, but only more intense in flavor. Best enjoyed with a good beer. :)

Back
Top Bottom