Grits

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:03 PM
As a Brit, grits are a mystery to me. Its not something we have in the UK. In fact, the name itself sounds rather unappetising (as if it might be gritty). But I know it is popular and traditional in parts of the U.S.

How do grits differ from polenta? Is hominy (a much nicer word) the same as grits? When do you eat it and what do you eat with it?

I'm a bit confused by the word grits - I thought it was something hens ate to help with laying eggs...

... course, I could be wrong...

That's grit not grits. Grit helps digestion when the muscles contact and move the small stones over the grain in the guzzard.

Grits I think is something similar to porridge but I could be wrong. It's not really appealed to me either just because of its name.

That's grit not grits. Grit helps digestion when the muscles contact and move the small stones over the grain in the guzzard.

Grits I think is something similar to porridge but I could be wrong. It's not really appealed to me either just because of its name.

Its made from corn - which is why I don't really understand how it differs from polenta. We will have to let our American friends advise...

Grits is basically boiled corn meal, usually a courser meal than that used for polenta. Hominy grits is made from corn that has been treated with lye or lime (similar to the way masa is treated). I think that hominy grits are the most popular. There are quick cooking grits, but they're horrible.

Some folks eat grits for breakfast with salt and butter. One of the most popular dinner preparations are shrimp and grits. There are many variations from the Carolinas to NOLA. Another popular dish from Cajun and Creole is grits and grillades (gree odds).

Polenta and what is called mush where I come from are basically the same thing.

Instant grits have a texture like cream of wheat, and to me I might as well be eating wallpaper paste.

Quick grits, while having a bit better texture and flavor, aren't much better than instant IMO.

I prefer stone ground, long cooking grits that are cooked for a minimum of half an hour (but usually more like an hour for me) with a mixture of stock, milk, and water, plus lots of salt and pepper, with some butter stirred in at the end. Depending on their use, a strongly flavored cheese is sometimes stirred in at the end.

You can spread out quick and long cooking grits in a sheet or baking pan, refrigerate, then cut into shapes and pan fry.

We actually have crawfish and grits on our menu this week, so I'll take a picture of them alongside cornmeal to show the difference.

Grits and polenta are pretty much the same thing - coarse-ground cornmeal.

Grits come in white and yellow. They also come in quick-cooking/instant varieties. Don't eat those. You'll not know what grits taste like if you eat those.

Traditionally eaten for breakfast, though not always, and with salt and pepper and butter, or if you're at my folks' house, with red-eye gravy.

Is hominy (a much nicer word) the same as grits? When do you eat it and what do you eat with it?

Yes and no. Hominy are dried corn kernels that have been treated with an alkali, usually lye or lime solution. They can then be eaten whole in stews or posole, or simply by themselves as a side dish, or dried again and ground to make grits. The best way to describe hominy to me is it looks kind of like popcorn, but has a totally different texture and taste.

I'm a bit confused by the word grits - I thought it was something hens ate to help with laying eggs...

... course, I could be wrong...

Bit I highlighted - laughed so hard, I nearly had a hernia....! I'm so... sorry....! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::oops:

Left to right
Fine corn meal/flour as some call it
Coarse ground corn meal
Stone ground white grits

2019-08-07 17.03.16.jpg

Back
Top Bottom