Ground black pepper or black pepper balls?

chocomore

Veteran
Local time
6:00 AM
I have used ground black pepper for years until l was told that l would be better buying it in balls and that l should grind it myself. I tried it and the taste difference was blatant, the black pepper balls have so much flavour compared to the ground black pepper so l am recommending black pepper balls to all the cookers:)

Interesting. I've always used ground one... haven't even thought of changing but now that you mentioned it...

Whole black pepper keeps better too, the ready ground loses its flavour over time, but freshly ground will be... well, fresh, every time. That's probably why it tastes better to you, because the ready ground you use will already be getting stale by the time you buy it.

Also, you can use the peppercorns whole to infuse in sauces, or peppercorn sauce, or roughly cracked in dishes for an even more robust flavour.

I've been meaning to buy a dedicated pepper corn grinder. I usually buy those disposable black pepper grinders, but they are kind of a waste when you can just get a stand alone grinder and buy the pepper corns themselves in bulk.

Fresh ground is definitely much better than the pre ground stuff - it has a very slight fruitiness along with the bitterness, that the pre ground stuff is missing.

I also like to use whole peppercorns in some dishes, such as stocks or when pickling, so it is handy to have them around as well.

Back
Top Bottom