Recipe Group pleaser but don’t call it Haluski

Dive Bar Casanova

Local time
7:12 PM
This dish seems so simple how can it possibly be so good people rave about it?
Well they do.
It’s fantastic and so easy, feeds a lot of people especially kids.

My grouchy Polish friend says Haluski is an entirely different dish.
Well ok Art, but we still love it.
View: https://youtu.be/r-eL8u7SrlM

I pre steam the cabbage to just barely soft:

1 1/2 lb bacon from COSTCO is the most affordable

Remember caramelize the onions not clarify

If you can find the textured Italian egg noodles it'll take this dish up another click. Our deli was sold out so I used the common grocery store pasta.

Last edited:
This dish seems so simple how can it possibly be so good people rave about it?
Well they do.
It’s fantastic and so easy, feeds a lot of people especially kids.

My grouchy Polish friend says Haluski is an entirely different dish.
Well ok Art, but we still love it.
Sounds like a nice dish, and it could easily be adapted to make use of leftover cabbage too so thanks for posting. But I definitely agree with your Polish friend....its a bit misleading to call it Halusky!

Halusky are actually the little flour and potato dumplings made all over central Europe - they are more similar to spaetzle in texture and preparation than the pasta used in the recipe.

It looks like the dish is actually an interpretation of Kapustove Haluksy, where the halusky are combined with fried cabbage and onions. I think if you can't get hold of (or make) halusky then you could use spaetzle instead for a more accurate interpretation.

I've only ever eaten Bryndzove Halusky which was recommended to me by one of my Slovak colleagues when we were in Bratislava a couple of years ago. In Bryndzove Halusky the halusky are mixed with bryndza sheep's milk cheese and garnished with lardons - it was a very heavy dish, but delicious. My colleague was actually pretty surprised when I told him I really liked it - I think like a lot of national dishes which have their origins in "peasant food" the locals don't really think of them as anything special. I had the same reaction in Cairo when I told friends that I loved koshari :D

If I've made that once, I've made it a thousand times. We grew up eating that, one of the dishes my mom's mom (and my mom) made with regularity. I usually cook the onions and cabbage in a mix of butter and bacon grease, and sometimes, I'll use spaetzle instead of egg noodles.

Haluski?! Pffft! That's just noodles and fried cabbage around here! :)

It's the butter, garlic salt and bacon that sets this dish off. Add Caramelized onions and the cabbage takes on a nice flavor.
At a Dive Bar Pot Luck I always get compliments. "Don't thank me, Thank YouTube."

Our Youngest was always a picky eater. Nothing red, nothing you could smell, a goofy list of don'ts. He'd always eat this and take seconds. He eats anything now, cooks his own and goes through onions like they are candy.

BTW:
My polish friend Art's mother ran a sensational, successful restaurant for decades. Art feels this entitles him to be a Duncan Hines and criticize everyone's food at pot lucks. This without even sampling a taste.
Arts mom passed away and left him the restaurant. He ran it into the ground and was out of business in about 16 months. When Art defaults to food upstart he's reminded of that cold fact by bar patron sports fans.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom