Grow your own herbs in small pots

thunder

Veteran
Local time
12:08 PM
I love using fresh herbs in my food, and try to grow most of what I need in small pots so I can harvest them just before eating. I often add fresh herbs such as cilantro, basil or chives to my salads, simply mixed in the the other leaves. And of course what would pasta be without herbs - basil again, oregano, sage, lemon balm, dill and many others. Sandwiches, stews, egg dishes, pizza and all kinds of other dishes also get the fresh herb treatment.

Most of my herb pots live on my wide kitchen window ledge, but the rosemary bush is outside, in the shade of a larger tree, as are the big clump of chives and the garlic. My basil literally grows like weeds and the other leaves also thrive in my sunny kitchen.

You can freeze most herbs so you have them at hand even if they're not growing. Pinch off the leaves, pat them dry between sheets of kitchen paper and freeze each variety in a heavy-duty ziploc bag. To use, scoop out as much as you need and place on kitchen paper to defrost (only takes a few minutes), then pat the excess water off with a top sheet of paper.

I would love so much to grow my own herbs! Unfortunately I live in an apartment and have a puppy.... so not that easy for me! I'm also not that good with growing plants, they all seem to die remarkably fast.... I don't have a green thump that's for sure!
We have grown basil at my mom's house, and that tasted so fresh and vivid!
But I do often put some fresh herbs in the freezer when I know I bought too much and won't use enough until they go bad. Buying them dehydrated is also an option, but doesn't taste as good!

Many herbs grow well in pots so as long as they are in a sunny location and out of the range of the pup you should be fine. Basil is great for pots but do remember to pinch off the flowers or the basil leaves will taste bitter.

I installed a couple of glass shelves by two sunny windows. I grow a few herbs in the windows in small pots. I also usually like to have a small hot pepper plant on the go. I love pesto sauce so basil is almost always in my window. My only problem is that they tend to have trouble if I go away for a period of time - i have to move them away from the window or the dry out and die.

I would love so much to grow my own herbs! Unfortunately I live in an apartment and have a puppy.... so not that easy for me! I'm also not that good with growing plants, they all seem to die remarkably fast.... I don't have a green thump that's for sure!
We have grown basil at my mom's house, and that tasted so fresh and vivid!
But I do often put some fresh herbs in the freezer when I know I bought too much and won't use enough until they go bad. Buying them dehydrated is also an option, but doesn't taste as good!

I was going to mention that you actually seem like a perfect candidate for an herb garden. Many can grow on a counter in sunlight (not even outside), and seriously, herbs are very much like weeds. They require little to no maintenance.

I found a thriving herb garden by the side of my house planted by the former home owner. I had not done anything with it for the first 2 years we lived here and the rosemary bush was at least 5ft high and the oregano had started spreading into my grass.

This summer I am doing a container garden. My plan is to do one veggie and one herb in each pot. I've heard that you are supposed to pair things that go well together on the plate so my tentative plans are thus:
  1. tomato and basil
  2. green peppers and cilantro
  3. tomato and oregano
  4. spinach and chives (this one maybe isn't well thought but those are the last two things I want to grow)
I'm also going to attempt cherry or grape tomatoes in hanging planters. Perhaps I'll update with pictures when things get going.

Back
Top Bottom