Growing mushrooms?

queenbellevue

Veteran
Local time
5:16 AM
has anyone here tried to grow mushrooms using the mushroom kits? My mum's been growing them and they have this weird dirt-like taste when cooked. Is this a common problem, and if so, how can I get rid of that taste?

As far as I'm concerned, weird and dirt-like sums up mushroom, so I can't really help, sorry! :wink:

I used to grow them and had no issues with a weird dirt like taste.

They were absoletly the most delicious mushrooms we had ever had and they grew in their hundreds. We used to have gluts of them and they were so so tasty. We froze them chopped up and used them like that. sadly the company we used went out of business which was a real shame because I have never found anywhere selling them in the same manner. they were in a large plastic bag roughly the about a 1m in diameter and filled with straw that was impregnated with the mushroom root. We would keep that like that until a certain point and then cover with about 5 cm of the soil they provided and keep the soil damp but not soggy and wait for the crop to grow. it was wonderful! if only I could find somewhere selling them that way again I would buy them straight away.

But to answer your question, no they were never soily never dirt like and were simply the most tasty mushrooms ever!

Back
Top Bottom