Growing Oyster Mushrooms At Home

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
1:05 PM
Something flew past me in my pre-coffee haze this morning, so I did an internet search on a few of the words I caught. I'm not sure this is what I missed, but I'm glad I found it, because it seems pretty useful, and has me interested. I'm not sure I'll grow my own, because I have to be very careful with mushrooms (digestive issues), but I wanted to share here, in case anyone would like to try this at home. http://www.treehugger.com/corporate-responsibility/growing-oyster-mushrooms-in-coffee-grounds.html

My mushroom supplier grows and supplies me with eringi,it's a large oyster sometimes known as making oyster ,the spore comes in saw dust blocks and are kept at a level moist ,warm environment ,must be clean ,they also have minimal light,saw dust is the correct medium for oyster mushrooms!

Oyster mushroom is my favorite as well the Enoki mushroom and shiitake mushroom. I had a simple recipe for oyster mushroom. Simply slice the mushroom lengthwise. Then put a small amount of cooking oil in a ceramic pan and sprinkle a dash of salt on the oil then stir fry the mushroom. My other recipe is just saute it with a small amount of oyster sauce together with green or red bell pepper. It is very simple but taste good! All of these mushroom are always available here in our place and it is always part of our daily meals. Because of the good climate here most people can grow mushrooms right in their own house.

I think I would have to bookmark that link until the time that I am ready to do some off the grid living, raise some farm animals, plants some vegetables and fruits. I wonder though if you can also grow the shiitake using the same process. I love that type of fungi and would wish to grow my own in the future.

Hey, nice to see the talk about mushrooms!
I got to say, I super recommend using straw and horticultural lime (low magnesium, mostly calcium hydroxide) pasutrization. It's the easiest way to grow oyster mushrooms:
1. shred straw, finer the better
2. soak the straw in a pretty good soluton of the hydrated lime over night, at least 16 to 18 hours - I have done it for more and it works just fine.
3. Mix in spawn or a spent oyster mushroom grow kit that's been torn apart
4. place in a bag, a basket, or a bucket and wait - mushrooms will grow!

It's very simple. If anyone is interested I'd love to go into more detail about it, I'm pretty involved with oyster mushroom grow kits as I make and sell them on my mycology/gardening related marketplace.

I don't really recommend coffee for those just starting to grow mushrooms; it has higher nitrogen content and that means it gets a higher contamination rate - and because ofd that many people have back luck with it if they're new to the mushroom farming. :)
Some people will probably disagree with that though, coffee certainly has a lot of benefits too, due to its nitrogen levels it can produce more oyster mushrooms per pound, and it's a denser substrate and doesn't need as much processing (no need for shredding) - sometimes it's free - but often times it's easier and cheaper to get useful quantities of straw than it is coffee grounds.

I hear shredded stir fried Pink Oyster mushroom with taco seasoning is a great low processed taco meat alternative - so if you're vegan or vegetarian that might be worth looking into - kind of hard to buy pink oyster mushrooms locally though, as most growers produce White or Blue oysters due to their better yields and more aggressive mycelium. Farmers markets would be a good place to look or to just grow your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom