Guilty pleasures

Jessi

Veteran
Local time
12:52 PM
Do you have any guilty pleasure ingredients that you like using but don't always want to admit to?

For example, maybe you use canned frosting instead of making it from scratch? Or you occasionally use premade cookie dough, etc?

I'm not against taking shortcuts in cooking as long as the ingredient is minor enough to be unnoticeable. I myself use packaged broth most of the time, but I wouldn't say I necessarily feel guilty about it. :D

I am also nothing against those cooking short cuts as long as it will still tastes good and it is not dangerous for health. :P
I am now more into ready mix packs since it is cheaper and easier than cooking from the scratch.

Ever since I learned how easy it is to make fresh pesto I feel guilty buying jars of the stuff. But I'm lazy so I'll probably keep doing it :P

Does stock count? I know I can make my own but I'll go through phases where I'm good and always have some in the freezer, and then it'll seem like too much bother and I'll run out for a few months before getting inspired again.

I have to admit I mostly use cubes to make stock. I know many people frown on this, and I know that fresh stock is always better and surely healthier then cube made stock, but sometimes, when I`m in a hurry, I do it the fast way. Usually people that taste the meal don`t notice a difference or a taste change because the stock wasn`t fresh. :D

I sometimes cheat with ready made pastry. Not often, but there is one particular brand that is dairy free and it makes my life so much easier...
Stock cubes/bouillon powder is the other cheat in this household, along with the occasional tin of kidney beans or chickpeas - usually I cook them from dried.

I also use a lot of canned beans and peas. Although I know that fresh veggies like these are preferable, it find it more practical to use these from a can. And the canned ones don`t even really change the taste of the food I`m preparing. I think there is too much work involved in cleaning and boiling dried beans for example.

Store bought cookie dough is by far better than what I make. My kids will say the same. I like making my cookie glaze though.

Back
Top Bottom