1/2 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tablespoon pimenton or hot paprika
1 (14.9-ounce) can of Guinness
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
1 teaspoon honey
Kosher salt

Method

Fill pot with oil 1 1/2 inches deep. Heat oil over medium-high to 375°F. Prepare a baking sheet lined with paper towels and a wire rack for finished onion rings to drain. While oil is heating, trim ends from onions, peel, and cut crosswise into 1/2 inch thick rings. Gently separate rings, discarding innermost rings and broken pieces.

In a large bowl, whisk flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and pimenton. In a small bowl, whisk together beer, mustard, and honey. Add wet ingredients to dry, stirring well to combine. Dip onion rings into batter a few at time, turning to coat thoroughly. Shake off excess batter and carefully lower into hot oil. Cook until dark golden brown on each side, 2-4 minutes, turning halfway through. Remove with a wire strainer to prepared wire rack, sprinkle lightly with salt while hot.

These sound and look amazing. I have attempted to make onion rings in the past but the batter was nothing compared to this. This will be on my list to try things.

I wonder what all of these stout concoctions would be like with O'Hara's. I'm not keen on Guinness - far too fizzy and served so cold these days they might as well make it into an ice lolly.

Stout-glsss-bottle-for-Stout-Page.png

I wonder what all of these stout concoctions would be like with O'Hara's. I'm not keen on Guinness - far too fizzy and served so cold these days they might as well make it into an ice lolly.

View attachment 1498
How true - it seems the modern day thing is to freeze the taste buds into submission. I sometimes wonder if they are trying to hide a steady lowering of quality.
As for the onion rings I have tried a similar idea with other beers and they all seemed to work ok so I would definitely give the stout a try.

Those onion rings look amazing and I am a fan of anything that is beer battered and deep fried. I have to agree that stout beer makes things taste better as it packs more of a punch in the flavoring. I like to visit the local breweries around here and eat the bar food served at these places, you can really taste the difference when you use a good beer as an ingredient.

http://math.colorado.edu/~rmg/pint/ for an explanation, and further confusion.

Oh, I see...well, a bit.

A lot of pubs there that I've been to. The Machine Man at Long Wittenham was - possibly still is - a very fine pub with lots of guest beers. The pub listed as "Walter Mitty's" was, in fact, misspelt as "Walter Mittey's" before it reverted to its old name of The Hollybush.

That list fills me with some sadness as both the Morrells and Morland breweries are extinct now. Both were over 200 years old and the former was destroyed by the avaricious owners selling out to property developers to build yuppie flats while the latter fell victim to the odious Green King conglomerate.

Anyone who hasn't tried this should make them! I tried beer battered onion rings at a random street cafe in Sydney and have come back every day I was there, mainly for the onion rings. I've remade that using almost this same recipe and it is a hit in parties!

Back
Top Bottom