Recipe Guinness® Ice Cream

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
11:30 AM
guinness-milk-chocolate-ice-cream-1-550.jpg
“Broken Eggs will poursuive bitten Apples for where theirs is Will there's his Wall”
James Joyce, Finnegans Wake

Ingredients
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 egg yolks
2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups Guinness Extra Stout or regular Guinness (one 11–12-oz. bottle)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Makes about 1 quart
Make the custard base
Put the sugar and salt in a medium-sized, heavy bottomed pot.

Method

Toss in the egg yolks.
Whisk them together until uniform.
Add the heavy cream and whisk again until uniform.
Set the pot on the stove over medium heat. Cook, whisking constantly.
(Don’t walk away from the pot. You have to keep the mixture moving as it heats up, or else you’ll wind up with a pot of scrambled eggs.)
Your mixture is ready when it thickly coats the back of spoon and reaches 170 degrees on a candy thermometer. (To measure, tip the pot so that the egg mixture is deep, so you get a good reading on your thermometer.) This should take 3 or 4 minutes, depending on your stove.
Strain the mixture into a large bowl to catch any bits of stray egg that managed to cook.
Finish the ice cream mixture
Add the Guinness.
Toss in the vanilla extract. (Learn how to make your own here. It’s SO easy. All you need is vodka, vanilla beans, and a little patience.)
Whisk gently until uniform.
Give the mixture a taste. This is your finished flavor. If you want to add more vanilla, etc., do it now.
Chill the mixture until completely cold, about 4-6 hours.
If you need to, you can fudge this a little by putting it in a shallow pan (like a lasagna pan) and sticking it in the freezer. Just keep a good eye on it, and don’t let it remotely freeze solid.
Process the ice cream
Once it’s chilled, process the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. (Every machine is a little different.)
Because of the alcohol content, your ice cream will still be a little loose when it’s done. That’s just fine. It will set up in the freezer over night.
When it’s done, pour it into a freezer-safe container.
Press a piece of plastic wrap to the surface of the ice cream.
Pop it into the freezer. Freeze overnight, until solid.
Serve & enjoy

Because of the alcohol content in this ice cream, it will take longer to freeze solid.
Make this ice cream the day before you want to serve it. It needs to freeze overnight to set up properly.

www.thehungrymouse.com/2012/06/23/guinness-ice-cream/

Well one thing I don't have is an ice-cream machine. I expect there is a way of making this without one. But I'd have to say its a very complicated recipe. There must be easier ways to make ice-cream. Is anyone an expert here? Many years ago I used to make ice-cream from condensed milk but I've long forgotten how. I expect it was pretty sickly anyway! The adult children around here love ice-cream so perhaps I ought to research easy non-machine methods.

When I first read the name I was really intrigued and thought it was something I would like to try.
However, after reading the recipe I know I would never make it because it is just too
detailed and complicated for me. I like things that are simple and easy to make.

Have you made this classic33? If so how was it? Was it near as complicated as it sounds?

I
“Broken Eggs will poursuive bitten Apples for where theirs is Will there's his Wall”
James Joyce, Finnegans Wake

Ingredients
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 egg yolks
2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups Guinness Extra Stout or regular Guinness (one 11–12-oz. bottle)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Makes about 1 quart
Make the custard base
Put the sugar and salt in a medium-sized, heavy bottomed pot.

Method

Toss in the egg yolks.
Whisk them together until uniform.
Add the heavy cream and whisk again until uniform.
Set the pot on the stove over medium heat. Cook, whisking constantly.
(Don’t walk away from the pot. You have to keep the mixture moving as it heats up, or else you’ll wind up with a pot of scrambled eggs.)
Your mixture is ready when it thickly coats the back of spoon and reaches 170 degrees on a candy thermometer. (To measure, tip the pot so that the egg mixture is deep, so you get a good reading on your thermometer.) This should take 3 or 4 minutes, depending on your stove.
Strain the mixture into a large bowl to catch any bits of stray egg that managed to cook.
Finish the ice cream mixture
Add the Guinness.
Toss in the vanilla extract. (Learn how to make your own here. It’s SO easy. All you need is vodka, vanilla beans, and a little patience.)
Whisk gently until uniform.
Give the mixture a taste. This is your finished flavor. If you want to add more vanilla, etc., do it now.
Chill the mixture until completely cold, about 4-6 hours.
If you need to, you can fudge this a little by putting it in a shallow pan (like a lasagna pan) and sticking it in the freezer. Just keep a good eye on it, and don’t let it remotely freeze solid.
Process the ice cream
Once it’s chilled, process the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. (Every machine is a little different.)
Because of the alcohol content, your ice cream will still be a little loose when it’s done. That’s just fine. It will set up in the freezer over night.
When it’s done, pour it into a freezer-safe container.
Press a piece of plastic wrap to the surface of the ice cream.
Pop it into the freezer. Freeze overnight, until solid.
Serve & enjoy

Because of the alcohol content in this ice cream, it will take longer to freeze solid.
Make this ice cream the day before you want to serve it. It needs to freeze overnight to set up properly.

www.thehungrymouse.com/2012/06/23/guinness-ice-cream/
I imagine this ice cream is delicious. I have always wanted to make Guiness Floats for St. Patrick's Day. The problem is that I have found that Guiness is quite expensive here in the states, although it is sometimes on special for St. Patrick's Day. I generally spend my money on the meal prep however.

When I first read the name I was really intrigued and thought it was something I would like to try.
However, after reading the recipe I know I would never make it because it is just too
detailed and complicated for me. I like things that are simple and easy to make.

Have you made this classic33? If so how was it? Was it near as complicated as it sounds?
Of course he hasn't made it. He drinks the Guinness though! :drink:

Inadvertant, never!
Thought you'd have noticed the vodka being mentioned, the only other alcoholic beverage mentioned
Of course I did. Are you trying to say I'm a bit of an old soak? As it happens, I virtually never drink spirits. I mean, if offered Guinness or vodka, then the Guinness wins hands down. On the other hand, if you offered me lemonade or Vodka....

Of course I did. Are you trying to say I'm a bit of an old soak? As it happens, I virtually never drink spirits. I mean, if offered Guinness or vodka, then the Guinness wins hands down. On the other hand, if you offered me lemonade or Vodka....
A "what killed the cat" moment moreso.

No Ice Cream Maker/mixer required version​

“To live, to err, to fall, to triumph, to recreate life out of life.”
James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup Guinness stout
PREPARATION
In a heavy saucepan whisk together the water and the cornstarch and simmer the mixture over moderate heat, whisking, for 2 minutes. Add the milks, the salt, and the sugar, heat the mixture over moderately low heat, whisking, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the sugar is dissolved, and remove the pan from the heat. Let the mixture cool completely, stir in the Guinness, and freeze the mixture in an ice-cream freezer* according to the manufacturer's instructions.

* Freezer compartment on a fridge freezer. It refers to an industrial machine as seen in shops and suchlike.

YIELD: Makes about 1 quart

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom