Recipe Gumbo Z'Herbes

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
10:48 PM
Is it Gumbo or is it not Gumbo?
I am guilty of being a Gumbo Snob. The color is gross but the aroma and flavor are pure Gumbo.

GUMBO Z'HERBES

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 pints dark Roux
8 quarts liquid - liquid from cooking greens plus chicken stock/broth
2 bunches mustard greens
2 bunches turnip greens
2 bunches collard greens
2 bunches kale
Course chop the greens
8 cups loosely packed baby spinach
3 medium yellow onions - diced
5 ribs celery - diced
1 large bell pepper - cored and diced
8 oz. Tasso - small dice
1 lb. ham - small dice
2 lbs. fresh pork sausage - cut into 1" pieces
2 lbs. Andouille - 1/4" slices
2 lbs. smoked sausage - 1/4" slices
2 TBSP. Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base dissolved in 1 cup boiling water
1 tsp. Cayenne (for flavor not heat)
5 whole, dried bay leaves
6 scallions - thin sliced - whites and greens
Chopped parsley to garnish
Gumbo File
Salt? Maybe - maybe not

METHOD

PREP
Greens - bunches of fresh greens are dirty - lots of grit. Wash, wash, wash and wash again. A royal pain.
Cut or tear the leaves from the stems.
Chop course.
Rinse again with spinach and drain for only a minute or two.
Spinach - not a problem. I used bagged fresh spinach.
From this point on spinach is included in greens.

Depending on the size of your stock pot you may need to steam the greens in batches. I did 2 batches. 1/2 cup chicken broth/stock and 1/2 of the greens with the water clinging to the leaves. Cook on medium low until the volume has greatly reduced but the greens are not completely cooked. They need to have texture. A little bit of crisp.
Drain the greens reserving the liquid.
Squeeze dry - reserving the liquid

Reserve 1/4 greens.
In two batches finely chop greens in food processor with a couple of TBSP. stock per batch
Set aside.

NOTE: After multiple washings the cooking liquid still had grit. Strain through a fine mesh sieve lined with a coffee filter.

Dice the Holy Trinity - set aside

Have stock/broth and cooking liquid on hand.

ROUX
INGREDIENTS
For 1 1/2 pint
3 cups APF
3 cups neutral vegetable oil (Canola Oil)

TOOLS
A heavy bottom skillet or saute pan (cast iron, ceramic clad cast iron or aluminum clad, copper bottom saute pan}
Flat edge wood stirrer
PATIENCE

METHOD

Heat oil in skillet or saute pan until it begins to shimmer. Reduce heat to low. Whisk in flour. If your cook top is electric you may want to move the pan off of the burner. Immediately begin stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan with your Roux stirrer. When the burner has cooled to low return the pan and continue cooking. Continue stirring and scraping. The Roux should begin to darken very gradually. If it darkens too fast remove from burner and reduce heat to low. Continue stirring and scraping until the Roux is almost but not yet the color of chocolate. Remove from the heat and add the Holy Trinity. Continue stirring and scraping until the pan has cooled enough to stop cooking the Roux. The roux will be the color of chocolate.

TIME? Too many variables. Heat retention of your pan. Heat of your cook top. Altitude, Humidity.

Use your nose. If at any time you smell burned flour STOP AND TOSS. The Roux is ruined and can not recover.

NEVER TURN YOUR BACK. STIR AND SCRAPE NON-STOP

You will be overwhelmed by the amazing aroma.

So greens are ready, stock is ready, Roux and Holy trinity are married. Transfer Roux mixture to a stock pot. Add 1/2 of the stock. Heat on medium low until the Roux and stock are incorporated. Add finely chopped greens and the remaining liquid (cooking liquid and stock). Add Bay Leaves and Cayenne. Turn heat to low and let the flavors meld.

MEAT

Slice the fresh pork sausage into 1" pieces
Dice the ham
Brown but do not cook the sausage. Add to Gumbo
Toss the ham in the same pan just to warm. Add to gumbo.
Add diced Tasso.

The ham and Tasso are small diced. They are not considered meat. Their presence is for flavor.

Allow to cook on low until the flavor of the sausage, Tasso and ham meld with the greens.

Add the 1/4" sliced smoked sausage and Andouille.

Increase heat to medium/medium low. Simmer until fat begins to release from sausage. Flavor!!

Use your eyes. The slices of sausage will begin to shrink and the white fat will begin to melt away.

Salt will not be needed. Low sodium broth still has a high salt content. All of the meats have salt and pepper. Don't ruin your gumbo by adding unneeded salt and pepper.

Add reserved course chopped greens, green onions and 4 to 6 TBSP. Gumbo File. If you add the file directly it will clump. Sift it into the gumbo with a fine mesh sieve. Cook on low for 10 minutes.

To serve:

Add a scoop of rice to a wide, deep bowl. Ladle gumbo over and around the rice. Dress with chopped Parsley.

ENJOY!!!

That's a lotta work!!

I often think that recipes 'as written' seem a lot of work - but in fact, when you make them (as long as you are fairly experienced) they don't take a lot of work.

How much does this make?

I was wondering the same - the recipe states 8 quarts of stock which I took as a sort of yardstick to what kind of quantity it would make. According to my translations, 8 quarts is 16 pints or 7.5 litres - which to me is a huge amount even allowing for the stock to reduce somewhat. Have I got this wrong?

I often think that recipes 'as written' seem a lot of work - but in fact, when you make them (as long as you are fairly experienced) they don't take a lot of work.

I was wondering the same - the recipe states 8 quarts of stock which I took as a sort of yardstick to what kind of quantity it would make. According to my translations, 8 quarts is 16 pints or 7.5 litres - which to me is a huge amount even allowing for the stock to reduce somewhat. Have I got this wrong?

Well I was going by the roux amount, hadn't even looked at the stock amount at that point. That's 3 cups of roux. I doubt we have anywhere close to even 1 cup when we make gumbo and that's enough for dinner, breakfast next day and sometimes another bowl for me and Craig. 8 quarts is 32 cups.

I think I remember ElizabethB writing that she made large amounts and froze so maybe that's the case.

This is definitely a gumbo, and a hearty one at that. As has been mentioned, this recipe makes a LOT of gumbo. There's 7 1/2 pounds of meat in this alone. ElizabethB: do you have all your burners going, and enough room to make all this? Just keeping everything in - I'm guessing - 4 pots going at once has got to be a challenge.

The color is gross but the aroma and flavor are pure Gumbo.

So the colour is a dark greeny brown? My next gumbo project is Gumbo z'herbes but I'm not including meat which may help the colour. We will see! Obviously the greens I use won't be the same as in the above recipe as it depends on what I can get. Probably spinach, watercress, kale plus green herbs.

Its great that you posted this recipe ElizabethB, as it gives me some guidelines to work from.

EB, I wish you would have snapped a picture. I've never eaten, or even seen gumbo z'herbes before. Do you have some leftovers you can snap with a smart phone?

CD

Back
Top Bottom