Guys...what's your go-to recipe that you always bust out at dinner parties to impress your friends?

queenbellevue

Veteran
Local time
7:54 AM
For me, I NEVER invite people over for dinner, just breakfast or brunch. Why? Because I want an excuse to make a ton of Gordon Ramsey style eggs without feeling guilty for using so much butter and creme fraiche. I also love making pancakes, bacon, and of course lots of toast as well.

Here's the recipe or the eggs, and let me tell you, before this, I thought I wasn't a fan of mushy looking eggs at all...

Iron Chef Micheal Symon did a complete ripoff of this cooking segment on The Chew a couple years ago. I was half tempted to call him out on it on Facebook, but I declined to do so, because it was probably the producers that forced him to do it - I doubt he would go after another celebrity chef himself and rip them off so brazenly like that. I mean, Symon basically was reading from the same cue cards Gordon was when he did it - I was astonished how verbatim it was. He even had the nerve to exclaim "this is how *I* make eggs..." as if to imply he came up with the method.

Its an interesting technique, but I don't think I could hang with the slimy texture of the eggs - I really prefer them to be steamy and fluffy instead personally.

As for my go to recipes when I have people over - I like to start out with either some home made fried italian greens and roasted hot peppers, along with some grilled crusty bread or pitas for them to dip them in, served with some Parmesan/Romano on the side for them to sprinkle over the greens. Or I will make some home made wedding soup completely from scratch to start things off. For the main course I usually "chicken out" and and simply grill some fresh steaks and chicken breasts, then pair them with some side dishes that will hold up well in case folks are running late - something like au gratin potatoes, steamed/sauteed vegetable medleys in an herbed butter, etc... Or I will make a large pot of "Sunday sauce" with all sorts of meats, and serve it with Cavitelli.

For me foolproof party menu all work done in advance ,Finished through the oven at last minute ,so ability to spend time with my friends ,on a big wooden block I serve olives ,home smoked salmon cured sliced hams ,pickles,bruschettas home marinated tomatoes,fresh prawns dips etc
Then main course a butterfly leg of lamb studded with garlic and rosemary,fresh mint sauce dauphinoise potatoes,roasted carrots ,sesame greens
Then a sticky toffee pudding or chocolate brownie,always a toffee sauce with those two and a homemade ice cream ,i enjoy wines with every course ,we gave a good chocolate wine for puds at the moment
Not complicated but covers a lot of bases

Back
Top Bottom