Halloween noodles

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
4:55 PM
For the kids I was thinking of making some fun Halloween noodles for a pasta dish this year. I learned that you can use squid ink to color noodles black, but does it make them taste different? It would be fun to make black noodles with red pasta sauce!

I would think that it would give the pasta a fishy taste.
Black pasta is really quite fun looking though. I think
if they liked fish they wouldn't have a problem with
the taste of the pasta. I have never tried it though so
I am just assuming! I am interested to see what others
have to say.

I had the same question @Rosyrain. I like fish, and I like noodles, but I don't think I'd like fishy tasting noodles. I'm more active in my neighborhood lately, so I guess I probably need to come up with something for Halloween this year, since I'll probably have more visitors than usual. I'm not sure if the neighborhood is having a gathering, but if so, I might attempt some sort of spooky snack. Otherwise, I'll probably stick to prepackaged candy, since many parents won't let their kids eat homemade treats, just in case.

It might be easier (and less fishy, potentially!) to see if there's anything like this locally:

halloween-pasta-giveaway.png

Reactions: L_B
For the kids I was thinking of making some fun Halloween noodles for a pasta dish this year. I learned that you can use squid ink to color noodles black, but does it make them taste different? It would be fun to make black noodles with red pasta sauce!
If you are making your own noodles (are you?), try using black food colouring. It won't taste of anything but noodle. Otherwise you could get black bean noodles (they just taste a bit nutty). I buy them over the internet so don't know if you can get them where you are. I'll have a look on-line. Would be great with red pasta sauce, as you say! (@morning glory goes off to look)

Went to look. You can get this one via Amazon in the US:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1EKNRK1S602RQ36X8Z8P

Well, I do not want noodles to taste fishy unless I was making a fish dish. Perhaps I could find some food coloring that is black at the cake supply store. My concern would be how much you would have to use in order to make the noodles black.

I do not think the ink would render a fishy taste on your pasta. Maybe because I am a grown up and I am used to tasting different flavors including the odd ones but on the other hand this could be a bit of a concern for the young taste buds. Thinking about it now maybe you can make the red pasta sauce more flavorful to mask whatever fishy taste the squid ink could have.

I do not think the ink would render a fishy taste on your pasta. Maybe because I am a grown up and I am used to tasting different flavors including the odd ones but on the other hand this could be a bit of a concern for the young taste buds. Thinking about it now maybe you can make the red pasta sauce more flavorful to mask whatever fishy taste the squid ink could have.

Squid ink pasta does taste of squid ink. I make it myself and have also bought it, so I know first hand. Its not overwhelming. Quite subtle, in fact. It has a faintly iodine taste which I adore. It works fantastically well with crab or lobster and chilli.

Second the use of black food dye to colour the noodles.
Factor in the fact that you will lose some of the colouring when reheating & you should be okay.

Green used years ago for a similar purpose, but on preshaped pasta shapes.

Squid ink pasta does taste of squid ink. I make it myself and have also bought it, so I know first hand. Its not overwhelming. Quite subtle, in fact. It has a faintly iodine taste which I adore. It works fantastically well with crab or lobster and chilli.
That is something new to me. Iodine taste? I wonder which taste it should be. I know I had tasted the same squid ink and I am pretty sure about that odd taste that might be the Iodine right? Good that you were able to name it because I do not know how to describe it.
Would you guys know if charring some chilies would help achieve the same black color as the squid ink?

That is something new to me. Iodine taste? I wonder which taste it should be. I know I had tasted the same squid ink and I am pretty sure about that odd taste that might be the Iodine right? Good that you were able to name it because I do not know how to describe it.
Would you guys know if charring some chilies would help achieve the same black color as the squid ink?
I've been experimenting with different techniques to produce black pasta (there is a separate thread on this). I don't think charred chilli would work. You'd get a speckled effect. However, that could be interesting in itself if you had red and black speckles!

As for the iodine taste, I didn't invent that! I read it before somewhere and to me its accurate. In fact, there isn't actually any iodine in squid ink.

Back
Top Bottom