Recipe Ham and Leek Cobbler

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
3:27 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I confess, I haven't made this one (being veggie) but I happen to know a great leek cobbler recipe and also another leek recipe and know that leeks and ham combine quite well apparently... so thought that this recipe could be a good one for a certain recipe competition!

Ingredients
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 450g leeks, thickly sliced
  • 300ml stock (reserve several tablespoons of stock)
  • 1tbsp cornflour (or plain flour to thicken stock)
  • 1tsp wholegrain mustard
  • 200g self-raising flour, plus a little extra for rolling the dough
  • 150ml fat-free natural yogurt
  • 1 tsp fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried thyme)
  • 150g frozen pea
  • 100g chunk of ham, shredded
  • 1 small dessert apple, grated
Method
  1. Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
  2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large pan and then fry the leeks, stirring for 5 mins until starting to soften. Add the stock and then simmer for 5 mins.
  3. Meanwhile, tip the flour into a bowl, make a well in the centre, then add the yogurt, remaining oil, thyme leaves and a little salt. Mix to bring together to a soft dough. Divide into 4 and shape into rounds on a floured surface.
  4. Combine the cornflour with the reserved stock carefully to ensure no lumps and then add to the leek mixture along with the wholegrain mustard. Bring back to the boil and simmer until the stock has thickened to a sauce consistency. Add more cornflour as/if needed to achieve a thicker stock. The sauce should not be runny but more like double cream.
  5. Stir the peas, ham and grated apple into the leeks, then divide between 4 individual pie dishes or one large dish.
  6. Top each individual pot with a round of dough, (if using a larger single dish then arrange over the top so they do not overlap - also if you are feeling decadent, add a thin scattering of grated cheddar over the cobbler) then bake for 20 mins until golden.

Ham and leek is always a good combination. mustard and apples are classic combos with ham too. This is made from ingredients I usually have in and my children enjoy so I might give this one a try.

Back
Top Bottom