Ham bone soup

Local time
11:41 AM
Since most of us eat ham at Christmas time, we are usually left with a ham bone after all the ham has been eaten up. So, what do you do with your ham bone? Do you throw it away? Our ham went a little over a week ago. We do not throw away our ham bone, but use it in making soup which was what we made last weekend. I find that the ham bone gives the soup a very nice flavour. Leaving just a little ham on the bone is also a good idea as this would give even more of a ham flavour to the soup.

If you have never made ham bone soup, maybe you could give it a try if you still have some ham left, or do not know what to do with the bone.

We always make soup with our ham bone. We enjoy a nice ham dinner, have a few sandwiches and then the rest goes in the soup. It is one of our favorites.

Well I have never made soup with my ham bone. I just always throw it out after letting my dogs lick or suck on it. I have actually been chastise for not knowing about this when I was much younger. Still I am older now and still don't use it. Maybe next ham bone time I will make a soup.

Reactions: L_B
Well I have never made soup with my ham bone. I just always throw it out after letting my dogs lick or suck on it. I have actually been chastise for not knowing about this when I was much younger. Still I am older now and still don't use it. Maybe next ham bone time I will make a soup.
But your doggies will be so disappointed! :(

I don't by a ham, since it is only me. So I don't have the pleasure of being able to use a ham bone. But a friend of mine has ham on occasion as part of a Sunday dinner, and then she uses the ham bone later in the week to season a pot of pinto beans. It is normally served and eaten over rice. Nice!!

But I often used some kind of smoked meat in things like bean soup, especially split pea soup. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom