Recipe Ham, Leek, Mushroom and Ale Cobbler

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
2:39 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I confess, I haven't made this one (being veggie) but I happen to know a great leek cobbler recipe and know that leeks and ham combine quite well apparently... so thought that this recipe could be a good one for a certain recipe competition! This is a slight modification to the Ham and Leek Cobbler - a less healthy version due to the calorie content of the stout & cream used. The apple is there to take the bitterness out of the stout but can be omitted if wanted or for those wanting a less bitter version, use a lighter ale or add a teaspoon of honey to the sauce. I have omitted the wholegrain mustard from this version, but suspect it may work quite well if you have the correct ale.

Ingredients
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 450g leeks, thickly sliced
  • 250g mushrooms, quartered
  • 100ml stout/ale of your choice
  • 100ml stock
  • 1tbsp cornflour (or plain flour to thicken stock)
  • 100ml single cream
  • 200g self-raising flour, plus a little extra for rolling the dough
  • 150ml fat-free natural yogurt
  • 1 tsp fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried thyme)
  • 100g chunk of ham, shredded
  • 1 dessert apple, in small chunks
Method
  1. Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
  2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large pan and then fry the leeks & mushrooms, stirring from time to time. Fry until the leeks are starting to soften (roughly 5-10 mins).
  3. Add the stout & stock and then simmer for another 5 mins.
  4. Meanwhile, sift the flour into a bowl, make a well in the centre, then add the yogurt, remaining oil, thyme leaves and a little salt. Kneed lightly until a soft dough, then roll to about 1/2 inch thickness. Divide into 4 and shape into rounds on a floured surface.
  5. Drain the mushrooms and leeks, then combine the cornflour with a few tablespoons of stock ensuring no lumps and carefully return to the strained stock. Bring back to the boil and simmer until the stock has thickened to a sauce consistency. Add more cornflour as/if needed to achieve a thicker stock if needed. The sauce should not be runny but more like double cream.
  6. Set the mixture aside to cool, until cool enough to add the cream without it curdling.
  7. Add the ham and apple into the leek & mushroom mixture and divide between 4 individual pie dishes or one large dish.
  8. Spoon over the stock mixture so as to half cover the veg & ham with sauce.
  9. Top each individual pot with a round of dough, (if using a larger single dish then arrange over the top so they do not overlap - also if you are feeling really decadent, add a thin scattering of grated cheddar over the cobbler) then bake for 20-30 mins until golden.

Stout or Ale?

Yep, either will do.

Ales
Brewed with top fermenting yeast at cellar temperature, ales are fuller-bodied, with nuances of fruit or spice and a pleasantly hoppy finish. Generally robust and complex with a variety of fruit and malt aromas, ales come in many varieties. They could include Bitters, Milds, Abbey Ales, Pale Ales, Nut Browns, etc.

Ales are often darker than lagers, ranging from rich gold to reddish amber. Top fermenting, and more hops in the wort gives these beers a distinctive fruitfulness, acidity and pleasantly bitter seasoning. Ales have a more assertive, individual personality than lager, though their alcoholic strength is the same.

Stouts & Porters
There’s very little distinction between a Porter and a Stout, but they do have their differences.

Porter is a dark, almost black, fruity-dry, top fermenting style. An ale, porter is brewed with a combination of roasted malt to impart flavour, colour and aroma. Stout is also a black, roast brew made by top fermentation.

Stout, not as sweet to the taste, features a rich, creamy head and is flavoured and coloured by barley. Stouts often use a portion of unmalted roasted barley to develop a dark, slightly astringent, coffee-like character

Oh this looks fantastic. I can't wait to try it. We always have some leftover ham at Christmas time and what a great way to use it up. My husband loves any recipe with beer or wine it in so I know he'll really like this one. A little something for him to enjoy while watching a hockey game. Thanks for sharing.

That looks like it would be really tasty! Merry Christmas to everyone! I think I will be having some leftover beef soon. I will be using that as needed. I love roast beef sandwiches so that will be one thing for certain. I think that is something that would be really tasty, delicious and nutritious. I will get the recipes that are very delicious you can be certain of that.

Back
Top Bottom