Recipe Hamburg Stroganoff (German Style Chicken Stroganoff)

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
9:25 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
95017219-904b-4725-be30-584b98c5bdee-jpeg.jpg

What started as a word play ended up being a really good dish. To get the full experience, you will need to make spaetzle, and get a tall glass of German beer to enjoy while you prepare and eat it.

Bratwurst Ingredients

1 pound prepared bratwurst, cut into chunks

OR

1 pound ground chicken breast
1 1/2 teaspoons ground mustard powder (I put mustard seeds in a spice grinder)
1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 ounces German beer

Stroganoff Ingredients

1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 large onion, diced
6 ounce mushrooms, sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons ground mustard powder
1 1/2 cups sauerkraut
8 ounces German beer
1/2 cup Dusseldorf mustard
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream

Directions

NOTE: If you'd prefer to use prepared bratwurst, skip to step 4

1. Blend all chicken bratwurst ingredients together and allow to rest in the refrigerator for at least an hour.

2. Test the mixture by heating a small amount in a pan on medium heat. Adjust ingredients as desired.

3. Cook chicken bratwurst in a pan on medium heat, breaking apart and scraping the pan as needed. When fully cooked, remove from pan and set aside.

4. In the same pan, distribute oil, and saute onion. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add mustard powder and stir thoroughly. Heat for about 1 minute, then add mushroom slices. Cook until mushroom pieces are golden brown.

5. Stir in sauerkraut, scraping up pan to get all loose pieces. Add beer to pan and heat until liquid is reduced.

6. Stir in mustard and sour cream. Cook for a minute or two to thicken if desired.

7. Stir in bratwurst, thoroughly coating all pieces. Lower heat and simmer for a few minutes.

8. Serve over spaetzle and enjoy with more German beer.

Because you lightened it up, I'm thinking a nice Gerwurztraminer (a fave of my dad, Alsace being my dad's choice after having it in '44, if you know what I mean), or Piesporter Goldtropchen, my fave of mine.
Any Riesling will do.

Nonetheless, I'm putting this on a "must try" list with our similar interests in healthier food. Well, with my wife on mind (help!) in that last part.

Last edited:
Because you lightened it up, I'm thinking a nice Gerwurztraminer (a fave of my dad, Alsace being my dad's choice after having it in '44, if you know what I mean), or Piesporter Goldtropchen, my fave of mine.
Any Riesling will do.
These are great ideas! I was building on the fly, so I immediately thought “liquid to reduce = beer” (many Stroganoff recipes use a stock). A wine would go better with poultry than beer. So, next time!

Back
Top Bottom