Handing recipes on

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
5:04 AM
This came up in another thread so I thought I'd ask here. I'm 62 and don't intend on going anywhere soon but my collection of recipes from over 40 years are pretty much stored in 2 folders . One I gave to my daughter who is a very good baker and good cook. My son doesn't give a rats about recipes but he'll gladly eat all my cooking. I keep another here for my own records and revision.its divided up into categories. When I'm gone I like to think my daughter will carry on cooking my recipes. Her mr 6 loves cooking as well so maybe he will end up using my recipes ? Some of my dishes are faves with everyone so I kinda feel happy my recipes will live on. I'm currently working on chicken Parma, when I get it right my daughter will get a copy as well. What will happen to your fave recipes.

Russ

Well not so much favourite recipes but recipes I've developed - so my original recipes. I almost never cook from published recipes - I find it far more interesting to invent. Anyway, I've well over a hundred of my own recipes (haven't counted) and they are all on CookingBites - no other copies kept other than the original photos of the dishes. What I ought to do is start a blog/website - that way they would all be together in one place and easy for my kids to access. I'm certainly not going to print them all out, plus the photos that go with them.

The problem is the sheer amount of work required to launch that website and upload everything including the photos into suitable sections, index it for searchability etc.

I have all my Grannie's recipes that she kept dating back to their marriage during WWII.

They were almost fought over by my mum and uncle neither if them being able to find the original big blue book, only the folder of loose recipes. They didn't realise that I actually had them. I now have both the book and the folder. Grannie had left them to me because I'm the one that took an interest and asked her for recipes her recipes.

Where they will go after me, I have no idea currently.

DD cooks as a necessity. She's asked for several recipes over the years, but they are all fairly simple things that she really, really likes. We thought maybe one of the DGDs would cook, but she seems to have lost interest in cooking, other than some sweets baking, as she's getting into her late teens. The other DGD lives on frozen and junk food mostly. So, guess we won't have to worry about handing them on.

Well not so much favourite recipes but recipes I've developed - so my original recipes. I almost never cook from published recipes - I find it far more interesting to invent. Anyway, I've well over a hundred of my own recipes (haven't counted) and they are all on CookingBites - no other copies kept other than the original photos of the dishes. What I ought to do is start a blog/website - that way they would all be together in one place and easy for my kids to access. I'm certainly not going to print them all out, plus the photos that go with them.

The problem is the sheer amount of work required to launch that website and upload everything including the photos into suitable sections, index it for searchability etc.
MG, please, print them out. I know print can get destroyed, but so can the internet. Better yet, handwritten. I treasure the ones written by my mother and Aunt.

MG, please, print them out. I know print can get destroyed, but so can the internet. Better yet, handwritten. I treasure the ones written by my mother and Aunt.
Its not a problem - I'll store them on my computer and back them up on a memory stick. Plus they will remain on the forum. That's three copies. I've estimated now that I've about 350 original recipes (or more) with photographs. Can you imagine the cost of all the printing ink (coloured)? I don't even own a printer and somehow, I don't think I'm going to write 350 recipes out by hand.:hyper: Digital is just fine for me.

My folder also has stuff I've yet to make as well. Things I liked the look of and the wife wants as well. My daughter is very good so I expect her son will as hes very keen to help anytime. Only 6 but loves spicy food and eats anything I give him. Anything.

Russ

handing things on also happens by circumstance.
I'm the baby of the family tree (one side...) and have 'inherited' recipe card boxes from my grandmother, my mother, my great aunt, my aunt . . . .

however, it's not actually all so simple. in my childhood - Thanksgiving/Christmas at my (maternal) grandmother's was a serious experience. one of the traditional 'dishes' is a corn pudding/custard//chowder/casserole . . . that I have been attempting to re-create for quite literally years. keeping in mind that the human memory can play lots of tricks....

I have, in five different 3x5 card collections . . . . at least 8 different recipes for the corn dish.
I started with my grandmother's hand notation: "best"
and I'm close....

handing things on also happens by circumstance.
I'm the baby of the family tree (one side...) and have 'inherited' recipe card boxes from my grandmother, my mother, my great aunt, my aunt . . . .

however, it's not actually all so simple. in my childhood - Thanksgiving/Christmas at my (maternal) grandmother's was a serious experience. one of the traditional 'dishes' is a corn pudding/custard//chowder/casserole . . . that I have been attempting to re-create for quite literally years. keeping in mind that the human memory can play lots of tricks....

I have, in five different 3x5 card collections . . . . at least 8 different recipes for the corn dish.
I started with my grandmother's hand notation: "best"
and I'm close....

I see that as a challenge, I just try something each time until I get it right. I have perfected IMHO several meals that everyone loves. I'm still working on the paneer curry though?

Russ

Back
Top Bottom