Hanukkah 2022

We don't - but we did watch Hallmark's "Hanukkah on Rye" holiday movie offering. It's a good story, sort of an offshoot of "You've Got Mail," but they really go above and beyond to remind you that "Hey, we made a Jewish movie!" It's so full of stereotypes.

Having practicing Jews in the family (long story) we were more aware of it than most, but as The Velvet Curtain said, it's not widely advertised or observed outside of the Jewish community.

I do remember several dishes being made. I guess I remember them because I could eat them (latkes & Challah) but that's really all I recall because not eating meat, and never really having done so, I tend to just ignore stuff that I can't or won't eat and it doesn't really register.

sue making latkes.jpg

First night of Hanukkah.

I’m not Jewish, but I normally use Hanukkah as an excuse to eat latkes, because they’re delicious. I like to divide the grated potatoes into 3 bowls, and then I add grated beets to one (husband says ew!), grated rutabaga to the next one, and grated zucchini to the last one. This creates beautiful red, green, and gold latkes. It’s also a nice way to pretend that they are healthy because there’s some extra veggies in there.

One of my very closest friends is Jewish, and likes to fuse elements from different cultures and celebrations together. Her apartment currently contains a Christmas tree with little dreidel ornaments hanging off all the branches.

Back a few years back when the US holiday of Thanksgiving fell on the same day as the main day of Hanukkah, I made sweet potato latkes.
Next year, I'd like to try my hand at some more traditional Hanukkah dishes. I am not Jewish, but I have Jewish friends (most of whom are not strict practioners and who will eat pork... but they will also observe Passover in a traditional dietary and ceremonial sense.)

Back a few years back when the US holiday of Thanksgiving fell on the same day as the main day of Hanukkah, I made sweet potato latkes.
Next year, I'd like to try my hand at some more traditional Hanukkah dishes. I am not Jewish, but I have Jewish friends (most of whom are not strict practioners and who will eat pork... but they will also observe Passover in a traditional dietary and ceremonial sense.)
Sufganiyot would be a fun thing to try.

For Passover, think something Sephardic or Mizrahi- they allow more ingredients (e.g., rice and corn), and the cuisines are far better than the dreary Ashkenazi food most people think of as stereotypically Jewish.

Back
Top Bottom