Has anyone bought accessories for their Stand Mixers yet?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
8:56 PM
I thought about it, but I never did. I already have a Cusinart food processor & a Vitamix blender. I figured that anything else that I might need, that I can do it by hand. What about any of you guys? :whistling:

Last edited:
Nope. Someone gave me the meat grinder attachment and a couple of years later, when he bought a new KA mixer to replace the one he lost in a divorce, I gave it right back, still in the same bag, never touched.

Nope. Someone gave me the meat grinder attachment and a couple of years later, when he bought a new KA mixer to replace the one he lost in a divorce, I gave it right back, still in the same bag, never touched.
Yeah, I've got the pasta attachment and and a few other things, but I've been so busy working i haven't had a chance to use them yet.

We bought a Kitchen Aid some 20 years ago. Then for Xmas (about 15 years ago) my wife bought me the attachments to (a) grind meat (b) make spaghetti and bucatini.
They´re still in their original boxes, untouched. It´s easier to buy minced beef, and I use my Imperial pasta machine to make pasta.

I don't have a stand mixer - so no accessories! Do I need a stand mixer? Not as far as I know. Maybe someone can tell me why I might need one...

I don't have a stand mixer - so no accessories! Do I need a stand mixer? Not as far as I know. Maybe someone can tell me why I might need one...
Like most things in life, it’s as much a want as a need, I suppose.

I use mine for doughs about half the time, when either or both of my wrists are acting up and it’s too painful to hand-knead, or if I’m really busy and need that 10 minutes or so of kneading to do something else.

I also used to use it to whip cream, until I got a stick blender; now I use that because I can do much smaller amounts. I can’t whip cream by hand, and have tried dozens, if not hundreds of times, with no luck. Same with egg whites.

I’ll use it for cake mixes, for creaming butter and sugar because I think it does a better job of incorporating some air in there versus doing the creaming by hand.

The last thing I always use it for - I make a cheese ball every Christmas and it’s great for that.

I should add that until a couple of months ago, I never owned an electric hand mixer, so anything you’d use a hand mixer for, I’d use my stand mixer for. When I started making smaller amounts of things, I finally broke down and got a hand mixer, because it’s hard to beat one egg white in a big stand mixer.

We bought a Kitchen Aid some 20 years ago. Then for Xmas (about 15 years ago) my wife bought me the attachments to (a) grind meat (b) make spaghetti and bucatini.
They´re still in their original boxes, untouched. It´s easier to buy minced beef, and I use my Imperial pasta machine to make pasta.
We used to use the meat grinder a lot for making andouille sausage. The pork has to be in cubes when the spices are added to cure over night. Then the cubes and spices are ground together. We now have a dedicated grinder and stuffer from LEM. Grinding 30 pounds of sausage would be a PIA with the KA.

Not unless you bake cakes, cookies or bread. I couldn't do that stuff by hand. Even though I like to bake at times!! :whistling:

Not unless you bake cakes, cookies or bread. I couldn't do that stuff by hand. Even though I like to bake at times!! :whistling:
I think MG doesn't have much of a sweet tooth but likes bread and finds hand-kneading bread dough therapeutic...am I right MG?

I too don't have much of a sweet tooth and rarely bake desserts. I find a handmixer helpful for whipped cream on the occasion that I do. I also don't mind kneading dough by hand, but my stand mixer allows me the time to do something else, as often I have a few family members coming over for dinner when I am baking a loaf of bread and I can put together a charcuterie tray during the time the dough is mixing in the stand mixer.

I think MG doesn't have much of a sweet tooth but likes bread and finds hand-kneading bread dough therapeutic...am I right MG?

Spot on! If I do make a cake I'm OK using a whisk, spoon or a hand held mixer. My hand mixer (rarely used) has a dough hook too.

We have bought the meat grinder, the vegetable shredder/chopper (and both were given to DD because we use the food processor for shredding/chopping and she didn't have one, and we bought the LEM grinder/stuffer). We also have a pasta shape maker that I think we've only used a couple of times over the years. Not sure where it's even at anymore. I got some after-market rollers a while back and they are fantastic at sheeting the dough and cutting spaghetti and linguini size-ish noodles. We also have the ice cream maker, which we used fairly often when we kept it in the freezer, but there's no room now and hasn't been for a good long while so it's just setting. I also bought the vegetable sheeter, which works great on softer vegetables to make sheets that you can use for wide noodles or vegetable lasagna noodles, but not so well on harder vegetables like hard squashes and sweet potatoes. We also got the spiralizer, which works pretty well even on harder vegetables. I should use it more often but since I really haven't been cooking anything but super simple meals it isn't getting used. I can't remember if we have any other attachments or not.

I tend to whip cream or beat egg whites by hand in small quantities, or use the stick blender since we have 1 that has a whisk attachment, which is also great at making a small batch of aioli/mayo.

Have to say, I absolutely loved having that stand mixer when when I was younger and used to make large quantities of Christmas cookies and large batches of pizza dough, but don't do either of those anymore.

I'd guess that most people don't need one. TR does, IMO, because of the amount of bread he makes. I don't "need" one, but I like having it.

I have the meat grinder, and do use it. I want to get the sausage attachment to make my own lower sodium sausages. I also want to get the beater with the silicone scraper, so I don't have to mess with scraping the bowl down with a spatula while mixing.

CD

Back
Top Bottom