Has anyone ever cooked & eaten Quinoa?

Before thinking of it as a fantastic food etc, you should look up what had happened to the cost of it in its native south american area. People who relied on it as a cheap food supply which constituted a large part of their diet can no longer afford to buy it because it has become the latest trendy food to have in first world countries. It is really sad!

I have eaten quinoa, but never cooked it. I have a package of it and certainly plan to try cooking it, but it's one of those things where you get busy and go for what's quick and easy and forget about stuff in the pantry after a while. I have a bunch of recipes pinned for it, now I just have to get to it!

I live quinoa, but strongly prefer the white. It has a softer hull. I use quinoa instead of rice when I have it. I have also topped it with pasta sauce which was really good. Quinoa has a complete protein, so it's one of the most nutritious grains out there.

Quinoa is a great substitute for rice and a healthier alternative. I have made many dishes with quinoa and all of them delicious, even my husband enjoys it. You can make it as a cold side dish, similar to a pasta salad, or as a warm dish just like rice. There are many recipes on the web which will help you with how to prepare it and add flavor, on its own it is pretty bland just like any food without seasoning.

There is a great Mexican casserole dish you might want to try http://pinchofyum.com/easy-mexican-chicken-quinoa-casserole

I have to remember to buy Quinoa. It is supposed to be good for you. OUr local store just started carrying it about a year ago. I think the next time I go shopping I will put it on the list. I see lots of recipes that contain Quinoa and I am sure they are better for you than using traditional rice.

I have heard about Quinoa and how good it apparently is for you. Where I worked before, we used to have a lot of pot lucks and one lady brought some sort of Quinoa salad. I was eager to try it as she kept saying how good it is and so on. I didn't like it, but to be fair I've never had it in anything else and I'm thinking maybe it was the salad as a whole and not just the Quinoa itself. The good girl I am, I ate what I had put on my plate but I didn't go for seconds. I would be willing to try it again just to make sure it wasn't just me though.

I use quinoa once in a while, because I think the cost of it is not worth it. Though it is healthy and one of the few plant sources that offers Omega 3's, I'm not particularly fond of the flavor. Still, I like to grind it down using a food processor and sometimes use the "flour" as a additive to homemade pancakes and English muffins. Quinoa can also make a great cereal--like overnight oats.

Quinoa has been grown in the UK for about 30 years now (one of the growers is not a million miles away from where I am now), and it is also grown in Europe. I believe it is slightly different to the South American stuff mainly due to our good old British weather. Unfortunately we don't grow enough of it, and most of what we get from the supermarkets is imported. I've ever tried it as is, although it's possible it is an ingredient of some of the cereal bars etc I buy.

I love quinoa. I throw it in my rice cooker and it cooks just like rice. I use the leftovers to make my burgers, I mix it with vegetables and chill it for a nice salad for lunches. I add it to my soups and stews to add body to it. You can pretty much use it anyway you have used rice before and it is much better for you than white rice too. The only thing is that it is expensive.

Back
Top Bottom