Has anyone ever made duck confit?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
7:20 PM
It is usually duck legs that have been marinated with fresh herbs, such as rosemary, thyme and is seasoned with kosher salt, pepper and garlic gloves, placed in a container or large zip top bag & marinated in the fridge overnight.

Then the next morning, the whole kit & kaboodle is placed either in a roaster or oven-proof Dutch Oven, either duck fat, soybean or olive oil is poured over it just to cover. Then it is place in a slow oven and cooked for several hours.

The whole thing is kept in the oil in the fridge for use later in delectable dishes, such as duck salad & other things. I've seen Emeril Lagasse do it, as well as others! :wink:

Yes,many times keeps for weeks in its cooking fat key ingredient in a good French cassoulet,I also do a oriental chicken leg confit ,same principle cure for a day with soy,lemon grass,chilli ,star anise ,confit next day in oil,cool and keep,reheat with a little honey serve with wok fried greens and a red pepper salsa

Me too. I make it quite often. Its surprisingly easy to do. Delicious with Puy lentils. I think the point of using duck fat is to preserve it afterwards but it does make is costly. I'm not sure if cooking it in oil would preserve it for very long afterwards.

Me too. I make it quite often. Its surprisingly easy to do. Delicious with Puy lentils. I think the point of using duck fat is to preserve it afterwards but it does make is costly. I'm not sure if cooking it in oil would preserve it for very long afterwards.
No reason why not , as long as it is well covered,

What would be the best oil to use? Does it have to be olive oil for flavour or would rapeseed work? I once tried using lard and it was horrible!
Any oil really,you can flavour it with what you want,I've done a salmon dish ,but you just cook it slowly in flavoured oil ,then serve ,but chicken leg confit is a top dish for salads,and it's does hold in the fridge for weeks
:soup:

Any oil really,you can flavour it with what you want,I've done a salmon dish ,but you just cook it slowly in flavoured oil ,then serve ,but chicken leg confit is a top dish for salads,and it's does hold in the fridge for weeks
:soup:
Excellent. Another dish goes on next week's menu! I'm going to try confit chicken with Asian style flavouring in the oil. Many thanks, Berties.

Back
Top Bottom