Have you ever canned any type of dessert?

Foodie14

Veteran
Local time
6:34 AM
I'm relatively new to canning, and so far I've stuck to canning things like spaghetti sauce, soups, apple sauce, and a few other fruits and vegetables. I've been wondering lately if anyone cans anything like rice pudding? I haven't come across it in any of my books, or maybe it's just one of those foods that you just don't can? There seems to be mixed feelings about it from various searches I've done online.

Does anyone here have any advice re canning rice pudding?

I really don't know about rice pudding specifically but I'd so love to get into canning. (If I'm not mistaken, I started a topic here in the forum about that a long time ago and the term "canning" isn't used worldwide... I found that interesting. To some, it sounds like storing things in tin cans, I believe.)

Anyhow, I'm sure there are websites that would instruct how to do rice pudding if it's possible. If there's one that offers an actual recipe/procedure instead of just the argument of whether or not it can be done, might be a good place to start. Personally I'd say probably not since there's milk involved, but... please update if you find out! Does your county have an extension office? Sometimes they have literature for things like this.

I'd like to can the customary fruits and veggies, but also soups, casseroles, meats, sauces... I could so get into that after remembering the rows of colorful jars on my grandma's basement shelves.

I really don't know about rice pudding specifically but I'd so love to get into canning. (If I'm not mistaken, I started a topic here in the forum about that a long time ago and the term "canning" isn't used worldwide... I found that interesting. To some, it sounds like storing things in tin cans, I believe.)

Anyhow, I'm sure there are websites that would instruct how to do rice pudding if it's possible. If there's one that offers an actual recipe/procedure instead of just the argument of whether or not it can be done, might be a good place to start. Personally I'd say probably not since there's milk involved, but... please update if you find out! Does your county have an extension office? Sometimes they have literature for things like this.

I'd like to can the customary fruits and veggies, but also soups, casseroles, meats, sauces... I could so get into that after remembering the rows of colorful jars on my grandma's basement shelves.

I am still quite new to canning, but I'm really enjoying it so far, I'm in the UK so there's not a huge amount of general info here about canning, and people don't seem to do it here really. All of the information I have has been gleaned from sites in the US, and some good YouTube 'how to' videos. I did get the Ball Complete Book of Preserving too, which has proved very useful.

I wish more people here were into it though; nobody seems to know what I'm talking about when I say I can food. :scratchhead:

Back
Top Bottom