Have you ever made a soufflé?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:05 PM
Soufflés have a reputation for being tricky to make and regularly feature as desserts on Masterchef - often the aim in the latter case is to achieve a 'molten' centre. But of course, soufflés can be savoury or sweet, although it seems to me that the savoury type (usually served as a starter) has fallen out of fashion.

Have you ever made a soufflé? And if not, why not?

Yep, mostly savory though, using cheddar or blue cheese. I've made Emeril's chocolate souffles several times, but only made the chocolate sauce served in his restaurants with them once, as it's just too much chocolate for me and Craig. They are individual ones and can be frozen, though they don't puff up quite as much as when freshly made and baked.

I've been thinking about trying to recreate 1 I had long ago. It was a vanilla based one with tiny pieces of chocolate suspended in the souffle. It was the first souffle I ever had so I'm not sure if it was that or the taste or a combo that has made me remember it all these years, probably around 25.

Yep, mostly savory though, using cheddar or blue cheese.

I like the idea of blue cheese soufflé. :hungry: I think I made a spinach soufflé back in the 70's sometime but other than that I have only made one soufflé. Delia Smith's twice cooked molten chocolate soufflé - which is pretty foolproof.

I've been thinking about trying to recreate 1 I had long ago. It was a vanilla based one with tiny pieces of chocolate suspended in the souffle. It was the first souffle I ever had so I'm not sure if it was that or the taste or a combo that has made me remember it all these years, probably around 25.

Sounds tricky! Of course you are right though - it could have been the newbie tastebuds! I do sometimes wonder if things I thought were amazing 30 or 40 years ago would taste as good now,

I once made cheese soufflé before. The trick is that you must be extra careful when beating the egg whites Care has to be taken to avoid collapsing, as the mixture will fall very easily.

Last edited:
Yes, but not for a few years. I think the last one I made was a chocolate souffle, but that would be a bit too sweet for me now. I wonder if a rhubarb souffle would work?

Sounds tricky! Of course you are right though - it could have been the newbie tastebuds! I do sometimes wonder if things I thought were amazing 30 or 40 years ago would taste as good now,

Well, I know for a fact some things don't. When I was staying with Craig's brother before he passed, he wanted to try some foods he remembered fondly from childhood/teenage-hood. We ended up getting takeout for those couple of nights for dinner before he decided that was probably not a good idea.

My wife's few faves is twice cooked soufflé with cheddar cheese. I've got the recipe that I want but havnt as yet made it. It's not far away. Might even have one myself.

Russ

Cook a long souffle?

I've made one sweet one (chocolate) and one savoury (cauliflower cheese) .
I have a lovely souffle dish which was a wedding present and one day I thought I should actually use it for the purpose it was designed for!

Maybe it's time to make it again.

Back
Top Bottom