Have you ever made homemade mayo?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
12:59 AM
Have any on you ever made homemade mayo before?

I used to years ago! The blender or food processor can do it nicely. When I run out of the store-bought kind, I will start back making my own.

I want to see how well my new food processor does it! It should be good. Because it won't have any additives or artificial ingredients in it! :wink:

Lots of times...homemade tastes much nicer than store-bought. I usually add garlic so its more of an aioli rather than a mayo though ;-) I always use a hand whisk rather than my food processor....I find its quicker, easier and MUCH less washing up.

I wish I'd spotted this thread before everyone guzzled the home-made mayo I made today! I could have taken a photo. I make it by hand (I enjoy doing it) using just a wooden spoon. And I agree with MrsDangermouse - less washing up! I use the wonderful Black Farmer egg yolks or Burford Brown egg yolks (available from Waitrose) - the deep golden yolks make that mayo a lovely thing to behold.

I could make some more tomorrow...

Last edited:
Wow. Fascinating. I do not home make mayonnaise, and there absolutely is an issue of it requiring a level of skill that daunts me. Much the same reason why I don’t ever make hollandaise sauce, though I would love to – I would particularly like to have a go at making Eggs Benedict.

But the skill required is not the only reason why I have never attempted to make home-made mayonnaise. Apparently, even chef-made mayonnaise has a bit of a notorious reputation. The classic scenario is at some high society wedding. Chef quality catering involving proper mayonnaise is served and enjoyed by the guests. As ever in these situations, in an effort to make sure that there is enough, there is actually far too much, and a considerable amount is left over. Festivities continue and later in the day, guests start to drift back to the buffet table and decide to have another of those particularly gorgeous sandwiches that they had earlier. Next news, the local A&E starts to get a steady stream of guests from the wedding all with food poisoning. And the culprit? The chef-made mayonnaise.

I do not home make mayonnaise, and there absolutely is an issue of it requiring a level of skill that daunts me. Much the same reason why I don’t ever make hollandaise sauce, though I would love to – I would particularly like to have a go at making Eggs Benedict.

I think you should have a go at mayonnaise. I just make enough for the meal usually, so its eaten straight away. I learned to make it in my 20's and believe me I wasn't an accomplished cook in those days! Someone just showed me how to do it.

Olive oil is really too strong to use and I only ever add a little at the end (sometimes) for taste. Besides, for practice then don't use expensive oil! I make it by hand using a small bowl and a wooden spoon. I prefer to do that because I can see what is happening with the mix. A lot of chefs use a mixer/blender and drizzle oil in. I'm not an expert on that.

Try using a small cereal bowl - put in an egg yolk. Beat with a wooden spoon for a few minutes (I tilt the bowl by using a tea towel wedged underneath). Drip a tiny bit of oil in and beat. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat. You get the idea? Small amounts each time. Keep doing this for probably ten minutes. Unless it splits (which it shouldn't if you add oil in tiny amounts) there will be a magical moment when it stops being a slack mixture and becomes thicker. Have faith. Unless it splits it will emulsify. Keep adding oil. The mixture will start to look thicker. Once it gets really thick you can add oil more liberally - and thin with lemon juice as required. Stop whenever you achieve the desired amount. And celebrate!

I have made it but was disappointed with the result...heavy and cloying. Maybe I should use a lighter oil mix, i.e. not all organic cold pressed olive oil? Ah...just read that it can be lightened with a little hot water!

The only problem is home-made doesn't keep - I've kept mine 24 hours with reasonable success but it starts to split. Has anyone got tips on how to make it last longer?
I read that refrigerating home made mayo makes it curdle/split.

I have made it but was disappointed with the result...heavy and cloying. Maybe I should use a lighter oil mix, i.e. not all organic cold pressed olive oil? Ah...just read that it can be lightened with a little hot water!
Absolutely do not use olive oil - it will be exactly as you say. Use a good rapeseed oil. A light oil is best. Then add a little good olive oil at the end for the taste.

Absolutely do not use olive oil - it will be exactly as you say. Use a good rapeseed oil. A light oil is best. Then add a little good olive oil at the end for the taste.
I have never used rapeseed oil....what does it taste like? I have seen that I can use half sunflower oil and half olive oil which sounds appealing to me.

I'll have to have a go at making some. I can't eat commercially made mayo as it makes me feel quite ill, although I am not allergic to any of the ingredients and can eat them all separately.

Wow. Fascinating. I do not home make mayonnaise, and there absolutely is an issue of it requiring a level of skill that daunts me. Much the same reason why I don’t ever make hollandaise sauce, though I would love to – I would particularly like to have a go at making Eggs Benedict.

But the skill required is not the only reason why I have never attempted to make home-made mayonnaise. Apparently, even chef-made mayonnaise has a bit of a notorious reputation. The classic scenario is at some high society wedding. Chef quality catering involving proper mayonnaise is served and enjoyed by the guests. As ever in these situations, in an effort to make sure that there is enough, there is actually far too much, and a considerable amount is left over. Festivities continue and later in the day, guests start to drift back to the buffet table and decide to have another of those particularly gorgeous sandwiches that they had earlier. Next news, the local A&E starts to get a steady stream of guests from the wedding all with food poisoning. And the culprit? The chef-made mayonnaise.

The trick to not poisoning people is the amounts of acid and salt.

If you don't add enough of each, mayo is only good for a couple of hours unrefrigerated. But with enough of both, you're good to go for the day, unless you are in high heat and humidity, of course.

Add some preservatives that further the acidity/salinity, and you're talking an extra day or so.

Back
Top Bottom