Have you ever tried a macrobiotic diet?

ambrosia

Veteran
Local time
1:49 PM
Several years ago, my Japanese acupuncturist suggested to me that I should try out a macrobiotic diet.
I bought a book by Michio Kushi and followed his suggestions. Although I found it to be a rather stringent regimen, I really enjoyed the meals that took me up to two hours each to prepare. Luckily I was working at home at the time and was able to make a lot of time available for cooking those special dishes.
In the end I gave it all away as I found the heavy focus on grain didn't agree with me.
Have you got any experience with macrobiotics?

I`ve never heard of the macrobiotic diet before. Could you elaborate on what is involved in such a diet? Anything you should or should not eat? Or is it mainly based on the time required to prepare each meal?

I`ve never heard of the macrobiotic diet before. Could you elaborate on what is involved in such a diet? Anything you should or should not eat? Or is it mainly based on the time required to prepare each meal?
Hi Chris_A, here is a link that gives a good overall description of what a macrobiotic diet entails. It's a diet that focuses on grains as a staple and includes organic vegetables and fruit, preferably grown in your immediate environment. It cuts out all the heavily or unnaturally processed foods and also puts an emphasis on how to chew your food properly. http://altmedicine.about.com/od/popularhealthdiets/a/Macrobiotic.htm

Very interesting info, thank you for sharing, ambrosia. It really sounds like a kind of Paleo diet, only vegetarian. Cutting out many processed foods is definitely a good idea and this diet is worth trying out for sure.

I haven't heard of this before, and thank you for the information!
It's really interesting, but I'm not exactly sure if I'd be able to prioritize the grain for a while, but I'd love to try this out sooner or later.

Back
Top Bottom