Have you ever used asafoetida in Indian cooking?

pattyk

Veteran
Local time
12:22 AM
I came across this spice only recently, when I found a recipe online for spicy squash. You use just a little pinch of it, and you fry it off at the beginning of the recipe. It did add a very particular onion-y/garlic-y flavor - as neither garlic nor onions were included in this particular recipe, I can only think it was from this spice that I got those flavors. The only negative I can find with this spice is that it absolutely stinks! And I'm not kidding.

As I now have almost a whole jar of it left, I'm wondering what other recipes I can use it in. Is there anyone here with a good knowledge of Indian cookery who can help me?

Many thanks.

I came across this spice only recently, when I found a recipe online for spicy squash. You use just a little pinch of it, and you fry it off at the beginning of the recipe. It did add a very particular onion-y/garlic-y flavor - as neither garlic nor onions were included in this particular recipe, I can only think it was from this spice that I got those flavors. The only negative I can find with this spice is that it absolutely stinks! And I'm not kidding.

As I now have almost a whole jar of it left, I'm wondering what other recipes I can use it in. Is there anyone here with a good knowledge of Indian cookery who can help me?

Many thanks.
I love indian spices in general, although some of them can be very hot. I've had lots of fun these past few months working with spices from India, and as a vegan there is plenty of options with Indian meals.

Back
Top Bottom