Have you ever used coffee in your cooking?

pattyk

Veteran
Local time
8:17 PM
I don't suppose many of us are strangers to the concept of using chocolate in our cooking, but I've just recently discovered that coffee makes a good ingredient for certain meat dishes. I happened to come across this when buying coffee pods from the Nespresso site; they had a recipe section (mostly drinks recipes) but they had the odd savoury recipe for ribs, and a beef recipe too - both using their coffee! It made me think about how many other dishes could benefit from the addition of coffee. I use coffee a lot in my baking, but using it in meat dishes is a new discovery.

Can anyone throw any further light on this for me?

I've used it for beef and pork, mainly steak and ribs. Anything that has a rack, thickness, or consistency of a think chunk of meat you can then brown them in crushed coffee powder (Finely ground mind you) mixed with various salts and then a BBQ sauce with a hickory or smoked flavor ala KC Masterpiece or some such. People would shudder if they thought it was bad, but I've had only thumbsup by the time I serve it. It adds a bit of extra tang and then a zest of energy afterwards.

I haven't used it but I am open to the idea. Just recently I was playing around with some cold drink ideas as I am not much of a coffee person. Shimus, I like your suggestions. I will experiment with the combined flavors and see what I come up with.

I've used it for beef and pork, mainly steak and ribs. Anything that has a rack, thickness, or consistency of a think chunk of meat you can then brown them in crushed coffee powder (Finely ground mind you) mixed with various salts and then a BBQ sauce with a hickory or smoked flavor ala KC Masterpiece or some such. People would shudder if they thought it was bad, but I've had only thumbsup by the time I serve it. It adds a bit of extra tang and then a zest of energy afterwards.

Shimus, I think you've sold it to me! I like your combination of flavours and the possibility of adding a bit of 'tang' to the end result. I didn't give much thought to the zest of energy afterwards - sounds like a winner to me. :)

Shimus, I think you've sold it to me! I like your combination of flavours and the possibility of adding a bit of 'tang' to the end result. I didn't give much thought to the zest of energy afterwards - sounds like a winner to me. :)

I've been thinking about it recently but intend to try it with a small amount of meat possibly the pork as my husband is a pork lover and drinks coffee every day. I'd rather him be the ultimate judge of my success or failure. Hey! Why am I even thinking about failing? It sounds like it'll be just fine once my hands are not too heavy with the coffee.

I have not tried it, but I've been curious as I've often had leftover coffee and not wanted to throw it out. (You can only dilute so much for the garden at one time.) I tried searching for recipes and only found a few dessert items. The idea of using it like chocolate is intriguing. I've been wanting to experiment with mole style dishes (without lard, ugh) and maybe that is the way to go with coffee as well.

Back
Top Bottom