Have you started planning your Christmas cooking yet?

L_B

Veteran
Local time
6:58 PM
I realize that is is Thanksgiving in the USA so the last thing you are probably thinking about is Christmas cooking. One holiday at a time. For the rest of the posters, have you started planning what you would like to have for Christmas dinner and sweets. If so what is on the menu so far? I have trying to come up with some ideas. I would like to try a few news things this year away from the traditional. One of the best parts of Christmas is all the treats that people prepare, It seems everybody you go to visit has different things. It is a great season for eating but nor so good for the waistline. :)

We don't plan as there is only 2 of us, but I have already got the turkey in the freezer. We had to buy it this early as wll the small turkeys go really fast, leaving big turkeys that we can't possibly eat.

So just the usual Christmas dinner for us and I may make a cake or two as my son daughter and grandchildren will probably be down at some point.

Reactions: L_B
but nor so good for the waistline
That is solely dependent on the ratio of quantity consumed and exercise taken! We all tend to over-eat.

A couple of suggestions:
i) eat slower (not so easy as it sounds especially if you have young children!)
ii) take some exercise between meals

A few years ago, I started my own xmas day tradition by going out for a bike ride on xmas day morning, regardless of weather, and this year will be no different. It is great because it helps clear the head and provides an appetite for what is to come!

In answer to your query, we were about to start but it will now be delayed. We do not have family visiting so we invited a couple of friends round for xmas day lunch. They have now invited us round to theirs so they are doing most of the work - yay! All we have to do is provide the first course and the cheese course. This will take much thought, going thru various options as we are going to drink a very, very, very expensive bottle of wine that was purchased a few years ago. It now needs drinking and requires appropriate food for it to go with!!

I have not started planning any Christmas cooking because I usually go out to eat at a family member on Christmas day. Each person is asked to bring a dish and I already know what I am going to be asked to bring. So, I just have to go out and buy the ingredients for my special dish. Of course ham and great cake, the usual traditional Christmas treats, will be on my shopping list. Other than that, I don't have a lot of planning to do where the eats are concerned. My main focus will be on the gifts that I would like to buy for each person.

I actually plan to just buy special dishes for Christmas. Our celebration is in my sister's house because it is her birthday too. We just bring some dishes, mostly special. Our usual contribution is the macaroni soup which is a variation of chicken soup (but with pasta) and the special menudo which is a mix of pork belly and pork liver with some nuts and cubed potatoes. For this year, we want to change the menu so I am scouting for restaurants that serve Spanish dishes. And if we cannot find one then we will just bring roasted pig, a whole medium sized one.

For this year, we want to change the menu so I am scouting for restaurants that serve Spanish dishes. And if we cannot find one then we will just bring roasted pig, a whole medium sized one.
I love the idea that if you can't source the dishes you are looking for you 'will just bring roasted pig, a whole medium sized one'! That would be such an impossible thing to find here. Well, not totally impossible, but certainly difficult and above any normal expectations!

We are going to my inlaws for Christmas this year and my MIL takes the cooking on herself! So all we need to do is show up - which is nice. I always usually bring some kind of dessert or something to share - even though there's plenty of other stuff to eat I always hate turning up empty handed!

My dad, my brother and his 3 kids are with us on Christmas day so there will be the full works, we will serve Christmas pudding and apple crumble for those who don't like the pud. My husband is the cook in our house so he takes charge, I wash up. Not fair but I do not have his kitchen skills. My dad has agreed to make a fruit cake-the best in my humble and biased opinion- and I have asked my 16 year old niece if she would like to bake something for tea later in the day. We have ordered the turkey crown so all we need to do is collect it along with fresh veg a couple of days before. Everything else is sorted :okay:

I love the idea that if you can't source the dishes you are looking for you 'will just bring roasted pig, a whole medium sized one'! That would be such an impossible thing to find here. Well, not totally impossible, but certainly difficult and above any normal expectations!

A medium-sized roasted pic costs around $100 here and what's good is they are almost everywhere. The roasted pig is broiled right there by the side of the store so you can see it. The pit used is a bamboo pole and the inside of the pig are flavorings like lemon grass and other secret spices. There are cities here that are famous for such dish. Although it is quite expensive, the party host will be very grateful if you bring one because roasted pig is always a hit. That's how we love lechon - the local name of roasted pig.

A medium-sized roasted pic costs around $100 here and what's good is they are almost everywhere. The roasted pig is broiled right there by the side of the store so you can see it. The pit used is a bamboo pole and the inside of the pig are flavorings like lemon grass and other secret spices. There are cities here that are famous for such dish. Although it is quite expensive, the party host will be very grateful if you bring one because roasted pig is always a hit. That's how we love lechon - the local name of roasted pig.
Well I should think its not bad value as one pig would feed a lot of people!

We are going to be going to our families house for Christmas this year, so there is not much planning on my part. I am going to bring some sort of side dish, bit have no clue what that is going to be just yet. I want it to be fun and unusual.

We are going to be going to our families house for Christmas this year, so there is not much planning on my part. I am going to bring some sort of side dish, bit have no clue what that is going to be just yet. I want it to be fun and unusual.
Well there are quite a few carrot recipes being posted here! :D

I won't have to deal with that. I'll be going to family's so they're doing all the cooking. :)

Back
Top Bottom