Have you tried quinoa?

rosacrux

Veteran
Local time
6:11 AM
Quinoa is a pseudocereal from Los Andes. It can be a little tricky to cook but its nutritional value is amazing: its protein content is high (and the protein is good quality), it has lots of fiber and is gluten-free. I loved it in a salad.

I've yet to try cooking it but I tried it once on the plane to Hawaii, once on a pizza at a vegan cafe in Hawaii (yes, it tasted delicious) and once back in New Zealand as my mom decided to experiment with it. I'm a huge fan of Quinoa, I'll have to be honest before I tried it, I thought it was just another fad but it's delicious and extremely handy for those who have a vegetarian diet like me. I almost forgot, the bread I've been purchasing a lot recently has Quinoa in it too, although you can't really taste it.

I have tried quinoa. Although I am sold on this food's nutritional value, I am not sold on the taste. I still crave regular white rice. As a result, I am searching for recipes of quinoa that better suit my taste buds.

I had heard already about this Quinoa and they said it is a healthy food. I had also seen recipes for this but not yet tried any of them. Maybe one time I will try one recipe of Quinoa and will search one that will suit my taste.

There is some debate as to how healthy it is. Particularly for people with wheat/gluten allergies. I've read that even though it's technically a seed and not a grain, it contains many of the chemicals/components on it that will irritate people sensitive to wheat and gluten in a similar fashion.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of it. There is something about the texture I don't care for, and the assertive nutty taste often interferes with the rest of the ingredients. I feel like I'm eating bird feed when it's in one of my meals.

Minute Rice makes a pre cooked medley that has Quinoa in it (along with wild rice and other stuff), which isn't too bad. More tolerable than on its own in my opinion.

I love quinoa too and it is so healthy! I first had it at my friend Julia's house. She made it warm with some chicken stock, onions and celery. I almost died by how yummy it was. Vegetarians can use veggie stock and it still tastes the same!

Quinoa is great! I've had it in place of bulgur wheat in tabbouleh. I've been meaning to start cooking with it more often as I have a mostly-full packet in my cupboard. It's great with chicken stock :)

I have tried it and hated it! I even tried it again, but it makes no difference I still hate it. It tastes really bad in my opinion, I cannot bring myself to eat anything that contains quinoa. I tried it in my salad, in my soup and mixed in a smoothie...... they are taste horrible! I wish I could like it, since it's so good for your health, but eating it is torture!

I have tried quinoa. Although I am sold on this food's nutritional value, I am not sold on the taste. I still crave regular white rice. As a result, I am searching for recipes of quinoa that better suit my taste buds.

Same here. I actually didn't try it as a rice replacement, but rather, in dishes that were specifically built for using quinoa. I don't really like the texture, though, and I can eat very little of it before wanting to eat something else. This means that I can tolerate it as a side dish, but not a main dish, and I don't think I'll ever have a real craving for it.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of it. There is something about the texture I don't care for, and the assertive nutty taste often interferes with the rest of the ingredients. I feel like I'm eating bird feed when it's in one of my meals.

I'm in the same boat. When in the first trimester of pregnancy, I am always looking for more creative ways to incorporate protein into my day, as I need to eat it about every two hours to keep headaches and nausea away. I was introduced to quinoa two years ago at a dinner party and thought I'd give it a try. My first experience was a cold quinoa fruit salad, and actually, I really liked it.

Perhaps because someone else made it, or perhaps because I had a small portion.

Anyway, I bought a big bag of it at Costco (same price as a 10th of the amount at Whole Foods) and I just could not find a way to prepare it that didn't leave me with half a bowl and an inability to choke it down. I even tried it like oatmeal, hot with brown sugar, nuts, Craisins, and a little milk.

I ended up blending into baby food most of the time.

But then this pregnancy (I am about 14 weeks and have a 14 month old son) I tried it again, but this time I blended it smooth in the Ninja and baked it into pancakes.

I have to admit, it saved it for me, and the pancakes were far heartier than anything else I tried. They were good with fruit topping, syrup, and even just popped in the toaster and topped with peanut butter. I too think it is the texture that gets to me. I'm not a huge fan of couscous either, and it reminds me of that.

I will also say this. When I eat it too much, I get really gassy. My son does as well, and it really changes the stench of his diapers. I think that despite the health benefits, such a thing as "too much of a good thing."

Back
Top Bottom