kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Local time
3:04 PM
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Website
mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com
guava-chicken.jpg

This is a very popular dish in Hawaii, it's mostly made by home cooks.
Guava Chicken is something I learned from my SIL (DH’s sister).
Every time that the entire family went to the beach for the day, she would bring Guava Chicken. My BIL would grill/BBQ the meat on his little charcoal hibachi and there’d be other goodies to nibble on after body surfing for the afternoon (I shouldn’t go there, it makes me homesick).
To me, that’s beach food.
So, years later, here we are in the middle of Arizona and I NEED to have little pieces of home every so often.

Hawaiian-Style Guava Chicken

Ingredients:

1 12oz. can frozen Guava Nectar Concentrate, defrosted
1 Garlic clove, crushed
1/2 C. Oyster Sauce
1/2 C. lightly packed Brown Sugar
1/2 C. Soy Sauce (I prefer low sodium)
1/2 C. Tomato Ketchup
1/4 tsp. Ground Chinese Five Spice
5 lbs. Chicken thighs (we buy boneless-skinless)

Instructions:

Combine the first 7 ingredients in a 4-cup measuring cup using a hand-held stick blender, or in a large bowl with a whisk.
Reserve 1 cup of the marinade to later.
Add the marinade to the Chicken, stir well, making sure that each piece of Chicken is well coated.
Cover and allow to marinade for at least 24 hours in the refrigerator, the longer the better.
Grill/BBQ, (I like the charred bits, it’s more like going to the beach for me) or you can bake or broil/grill, basting with the reserved marinade, until the meat is completely done, an internal temperature of 165º on an instant-read thermometer.

Guava Juice Concentrate.jpg
guava-chicken1.jpg
guava-chicken2.jpg
guava-chicken4.jpg

I like to serve our Guava Chicken with Fried Rice, MMM!!

guava-chicken5.jpg

That's ONO, or delicious in Hawaiian!

Oh wow - that looks good. I love guava and the fruit is very popular in Venezuela.
I was at a Mexican supermarket (Valleverde) this weekend and I´m sure they had fresh guavas.
Time to experiment!

My wife would love this. We both love guava: she loves the flavor but didn't grow up with access to the fresh fruit, whereas I grew up enjoying the fresh fruit and enjoying fruit punch with guava added to give it that amazing aroma and taste!
Your recipe reads like a sweet, guava infused, barbeque marinade/sauce; I cannot wait to try it!

Oh wow - that looks good. I love guava and the fruit is very popular in Venezuela.
I was at a Mexican supermarket (Valleverde) this weekend and I´m sure they had fresh guavas.
Time to experiment!
Let me know what you come up with.
I can find Guava Nectar in cans here in Cowboyville, but I've never experimented with that yet.
Frozen concentrate is difficult to find here, but when ever we go into major cities that has say a Mexican Market, I look for Goya brand frozen concentrate.

My wife would love this. We both love guava: she loves the flavor but didn't grow up with access to the fresh fruit, whereas I grew up enjoying the fresh fruit and enjoying fruit punch with guava added to give it that amazing aroma and taste!
Your recipe reads like a sweet, guava infused, barbeque marinade/sauce; I cannot wait to try it!
Yes, exactly FFT!
I too grew up eating fresh guavas and drinking the juice all the time, love the flavor!
Now you've got me thinking ... I think for our family Brunch tomorrow I'll make Guava juice, Portuguese Sausage or Linguica, steamed White Rice and scrambled Eggs ... a typical Hawaiian-Style breakfast!!! MMM! ONO!

Yes, exactly FFT!
I too grew up eating fresh guavas and drinking the juice all the time, love the flavor!
Now you've got me thinking ... I think for our family Brunch tomorrow I'll make Guava juice, Portuguese Sausage or Linguica, steamed White Rice and scrambled Eggs ... a typical Hawaiian-Style breakfast!!! MMM! ONO!

Linguica! Gosh, I haven't had that in ages. I last had it on a pizza, probably 2 or 3 years ago. I just put it on my list of things to buy. Thanks for mentioning it.

Looks like a good recipe.

Question: does the guava concentrate contain sugar or is it simply fruit?
Morning Glory
IMG_1185.JPG

IMG_1186.JPG

This is the product that I buy, but I was thinking that if I were to buy several cans of the fruit nectar and reduce it a bit on the cooktop that may work too.
I got my linguica at the market yesterday.

flyinglentris
Silva Portuguse Sausage.JPG

This is what I found here in Cowboyville Arizona.
hawaiian-portuguese-sausage.jpg

This what I get back home in Hawaii.

Back
Top Bottom