Healthier sweet cake

Amateur1

Local time
12:01 PM
I've made a chocolate cake with cooked beetroot which was very nice. Is there any way to combine the beetroot with sweet potato, eggs and flour to reduce the amount of oil and sugar? Maybe also use some spices eg cinammon

I've made a chocolate cake with cooked beetroot which was very nice. Is there any way to combine the beetroot with sweet potato, eggs and flour to reduce the amount of oil and sugar? Maybe also use some spices eg cinammon

I think you will still need something to sweeten it a bit. You could use honey if you are not vegan - but it won't save any calories.

There is a fat free vegan recipe for beetroot cake here. You could replace half the volume of beets with sweet potato perhaps?

Can't Be Beet Chocolate Cake! | FatFree Vegan Kitchen

Thanks for this. I've also made a sort of cake with butternut squash and sweet potato plus eggs, flour and cinnamon. It's nice, but has quite a bit of sugar and oil, so I was wondering if adding beetroot would reduce the need for so much sugar and oil.
Are you saying that beetroot would not replace the need for sugar and oil?
Would using cocoa instead of flour reduce the need for sugar and oil?
Basically I'm looking for suggested ratios of sweet potato, butternut squash, beetroot and the other things I've mentioned to make something nice. I realise that what I find nice is not what everyone would find nice, but just a ballpark figure.
One thing to mention is that I used cooked beetroot not raw.

Are you saying that beetroot would not replace the need for sugar and oil?

It adds some sweetness and as you can see from the link above its possible to make a fat free cake using it. I just don't think beetroot (and/or sweet potato) will be sweet enough to replace sugar altogether. May I ask why you are keen to eliminate the sugar?

Basically I'm looking for suggested ratios of sweet potato, butternut squash, beetroot and the other things I've mentioned to make something nice. I realise that what I find nice is not what everyone would find nice, but just a ballpark figure.

I would try following the linked fat free recipe above. Replace half the beetroot (in volume) with sweet potato. Add cinnamon too.

I do think you will need some sugar or other sweetener but you could try it without. If you taste the raw cake mix you should be able to tell if its sweet enough.

Would using cocoa instead of flour reduce the need for sugar and oil?

Cocoa has no added sugar so I don't think it would make a lot of difference. By the way, I'm no expert cake maker! I'm simply giving my opinion.

The recipe says to use one large beet. What's the equivalent in cooked beetroots? In the UK I can buy 200g packs of cooked beetroots.

The recipe says to use one large beet. What's the equivalent in cooked beetroots? In the UK I can buy 200g packs of cooked beetroots.

I'd say it was two of those beetroots you get in the packs in the UK. They are quite small in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom