Healthier way to cook foods in the oven

elsmandino

Veteran
Local time
9:15 AM
Hi there.

My family and I have tried to become a bit more health-conscious, recently, and we would be grateful for some advice on cooking foods in the oven in a healthier way.

At the moment, we are trying to cut down on foods like chips (french fries), burgers and sausages which contain lots of fat. When we do eat them, we want them to try and lost as much of the fact as possible during the cooking process.

At the moment, we cook everything on an oven tray so the food just sits in its own fat.

What we really need is a way of cooking the food, so that the fat drips off.

A couple of ideas that we have come across that might work:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07L4VY2NX/ref=ewc_pr_img_3?smid=A3S2OA3HOTXY5G&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0876J8JN4/ref=ewc_pr_img_7?smid=AZHV2J5H4MUH&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08MQ86KCX/ref=ewc_pr_img_4?smid=A2FHZ819VF9WNI&psc=1

With the last one, I could just stick the mats on top of my existing roasting pan

What do you think?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

The drawback with metal 'grids' is that they are a pain to clean. I've not tried the silicon type but I do know that will be easiest to clean!

You could consider using an air-fryer if you are trying to reduce fat. They are very popular and there are plenty on the market.

The drawback with metal 'grids' is that they are a pain to clean. I've not tried the silicon type but I do know that will be easiest to clean!

You could consider using an air-fryer if you are trying to reduce fat. They are very popular and there are plenty on the market.
An air fryer is still just an oven with a fan and the food like burgers and sausages will still need to be elevated, so the same problem exists. Silicon would definitely be easier to clean and I'm sure they make metal racks coated with silicon.

cast iron pan, stainless cake rack . . . sear&oven finish.

An air fryer is still just an oven with a fan and the food like burgers and sausages will still need to be elevated, so the same problem exists. Silicon would definitely be easier to clean and I'm sure they make metal racks coated with silicon.

Yeah - I think air fryers have a built-in basket.

Thanks for all your input on this.

Can I just clarify one thing, if I may?

What is it that makes these air fryers so unique?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07L4VY2NX/ref=ewc_pr_img_3?smid=A3S2OA3HOTXY5G&psc=1

Is it the fact that hot air is able to complete encircle the food (a bit like it would in the photo)?

The reason I ask is I have one of these, that came with the oven;

Grill Pan and Grid for Cookers Ovens & Hobs - 4055047254 | Zanussi

If I switched the grid to something with squares, would that be able to cook chips as an air fryer?

Or, is the pan too deep for the air to circle properly - i.e. in other words, does the grid have to above the tin to allow the effect to take place?

Variety is something to be appreciated, especially with food. But unfortunately, variety is the one thing that has caused whole cultures to suffer health problems, not the cooking techniques, but the variety of foods consumed. US Culture is a terrific example of how food variety causes health problems and it is not just about sugary soft drinks and junk food. US culture also promotes sedentary life styles, at desks or sitting as part of an audience to things, especially TV. Obesity is a huge problem in the USA.

Some cultures have very healthy food intake, those that have limited variety that is mostly wild meats and produce, plus a staple grain. It has nothing to do with cooking techniques. And going vegan does not really enhance your chances at good health. In fact, a vegan diet can deny you certain essentials.

It's what you eat and how you use your energies that most effects your health, not your cooking techniques. Oddly enough a certain amount of fats is good for you, in moderate intake and of a certain type.

Overkill with food, is kill.

Thanks for all your input on this.

Can I just clarify one thing, if I may?

What is it that makes these air fryers so unique?

Is it the fact that hot air is able to complete encircle the food (a bit like it would in the photo)?

The reason I ask is I have one of these, that came with the oven;

Grill Pan and Grid for Cookers Ovens & Hobs - 4055047254 | Zanussi

If I switched the grid to something with squares, would that be able to cook chips as an air fryer?

Or, is the pan too deep for the air to circle properly - i.e. in other words, does the grid have to above the tin to allow the effect to take place?
They're not unique per se. Commercial kitchens have been using convection ovens for quite a while which is the same thing. The fan creates more even heating and also increases the temperature of the space. What it does is mimic the milliard effect which is the browning or caramelization of the starches and sugars found in food. So while it's not deep frying the effect can be similar in that regard. Taste and texture is different, also battered or breaded foods don't work well or not at all. Commercial kitchens refer to them as ovens not fryers, that's more marketing to help sell them. An oven with a fan isn't very sexy or portrays a health benefit which is their main selling point.

Yeah - I think air fryers have a built-in basket.

I think some do and some (probably the cheaper ones) don't. I advised my mate to buy one with a basket to facilitate intermittent shaking up of the food. He loves it because the basket sits a few millimetres off the base of the drawer and he can place sliced bread there to soak up the fat when air frying bacon.

Notwithstanding that, yes the basket in an air fryer usually sits proud of the base of the drawer so much of the small quantity of fat/oil used (if any) will drain off into the gap.

I hate to be a killjoy, but it´s the fat which provides a lot of the flavour to cooked meats.
I think ( and it might be only me) that, if you rest what you´ve cooked outside the oven for a while, some of that excess fat will drain off. Draining it off in the oven can only mean less flavour.

I hate to be a killjoy, but it´s the fat which provides a lot of the flavour to cooked meats.
I think ( and it might be only me) that, if you rest what you´ve cooked outside the oven for a while, some of that excess fat will drain off. Draining it off in the oven can only mean less flavour.

I am pretty sure garlichead was being a bit tongue-in-cheek. :wink:

CD

Back
Top Bottom