The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
3:41 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
52D687A8-4CAC-4BCD-ACD2-3D63C80B26A4.jpeg

Look at the lower right hand corner of this picture. I got this for my cat, and little did I know that it was so healthy! I understand wanting to not feed your animal things that are unhealthy for them, but this has got to be the first time I’ve seen calories listed on pet food. This means one of two things:
  1. There are people out there who have very strict diets for their pets.
  2. Some people are eating cat treats, and want to make sure they can still fit into their litter box.

My cats rarely eat cat treats like those ones, although they have got a free packet sent by Purina as a promotion. I can't see them finishing the pack though. Their idea of a treat is to share a can of sardines with the dog once a week.

That marketing is for us humans, obviously. I always get a chuckle from MrsTasty, because we buy these little cheapo containers of wet food as a treat for our dog, and the ones that have little flecks of egg in them are labeled, "...for breakfast."

I really don't think my dog distinguishes between breakfast and her other meals, but if I give one of the eggy ones to the dog at night, the wife will scold, "Don't give her that one, it's for breakfast!"

That marketing is for us humans, obviously. I always get a chuckle from MrsTasty, because we buy these little cheapo containers of wet food as a treat for our dog, and the ones that have little flecks of egg in them are labeled, "...for breakfast."

I really don't think my dog distinguishes between breakfast and her other meals, but if I give one of the eggy ones to the dog at night, the wife will scold, "Don't give her that one, it's for breakfast!"
All the dogs I've had except two have only ever been fed once a day in the evenings with maybe a Bonio or other dog biscuit in the afternoon as a treat. The exceptions were my lurcher when she got old as she couldn't manage to eat all her food in one go (she was 17 when she died), and my greyhound simply because the kennels he came from used to give their dogs breakfast. Other than that they were just fed and watered once a day at about 1 p.m. - obviously they couldn't be fed in the evenings when they were racing. When I first got him I used to give him his dinner then with a treat later, but now he has lunch and he also gets dinner with treats midmorning and mid-afternoon. He isn't in the slightest bit bothered so long as he gets the complete amount of food he needs every day - it's just more convenient for me. He still only drinks once a day although water is always available for him. Same with the cats.

Back
Top Bottom