Healthy-ish things to bake with children?

lucyarty

Veteran
Local time
1:47 PM
Has anyone got any hints or recipes? I love baking with my older son, but we do it quite a lot so I don't want to be baking endless sugary cakes and biscuits. Would be good to expand my mental list of ingredients I can substitute into our baking so that it still tastes nice but has some healthier elements to it!

That's a great question, my son loves to cook with me too. He often asks to bake something, but I always put it off because I don't want to us eating so many sweets. The couple kind of healthy recipes we often make are Banana Bran Bread and Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins. I would love some other ideas too!

Bread? I remember it being one of the first things I was taught to make.

Irish soda bread it's really easy to make and I have taught a young 8 year old to make it.

Pikelets or drop scones

Cheese Scones

Fruit or chocolate chip scones (just use softened butter instead of my vegan margarine)

I know that all but the bread has sugar in it to an extent but they are nowhere near as sweet or unhealthy as biscuits can be...

I would vote for scones too. They are cheap, quick and easy, plus your son can have a bit of fun cutting the shapes out too.

Great question! I like to make "pumpkin muffins" with my 2 year old daughter. They are super simple and not completely terrible for you. Take a boxed cake mix (whatever flavor you prefer) mix in one can of pumpkin puree and a cup of water. Then scoop them into muffin tins. I use the mini muffin tins and bake at 350 for about 12-15 minutes. My daughter loves them and there are lots of good vitamins in the pumpkin puree. I like to use a yellow or white mix if I want to taste the pumpkin flavor, but they are also delicious in chocolate! :happy:

Back
Top Bottom