1 medium carrot (grated)
1 x 400g canned chopped tomatoes
250ml vegetable stock
2 tablespoons sundried tomato paste
300g wholewheat spaghetti
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
1 bay leaf

Method
  • Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the onions and mince until the mince has browned.
  • Add the mushrooms, carrot, tomatoes, stock, bay leaf and tomato puree. Bring to the boil and then let simmers for 15-20mins or until the sauce has thickened.
  • Place the spaghetti in a saucepan of boiling water with a pinch of salt and cook until the spaghetti is soft.
  • Divide the spaghetti into four portions and serve with the Bolognese sauce on top. Sprinkle with the fresh parsley and serve.

Per 100g
Low fat, low saturates, low sugar, medium salt

Per serving
Energy: 475 Kcals/1980 Kjoules Fat: 17.6g Saturates: 2.9g Sugars: 12.2g Salt: 1.4g

http://heartuk.org.uk/cholesterol-a...main-course-meat/healthy-spaghetti-bolognaise

I'm not sure what is 'healthy' about this apart from the fact that the 'mince' (minced what?) is lean. Its a fairly basic spag-bol recipe with the addition of shiitake mushrooms. Why shiitake? They aren't the easiest mushrooms to find and I'm sure you could use any mushrooms you like. Are they chopped up? The recipe doesn't tell us, although it does tell us that the carrots are grated.

I'm sorry to be critical but its not a well written recipe. For example: 'fry the onions and mince until the mince is cooked'. The ingredients states one medium onion. I'm presuming its chopped finely but the recipe doesn't specify. And normally, you wouldn't put the onions and mince (ground) beef in together to start with. The ingredients state sun-dried tomato paste but the recipe says 'tomato puree'.

Shoot me down - but I'm fed up with seeing sloppy recipes being published on reputable websites like http://heartuk.org.uk

Last edited:
It was better than those on dieting sites, but it also takes you to their site.
Possibility that more help will be available there.

Back
Top Bottom