Hearts of Palm

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:15 AM
Have you ever eaten hearts of palm? They are one of my favourite vegetables - I've only ever found them in tins in the UK. Like this:

shopping-2.jpeg

I'm not sure if they can be obtained as a fresh ingredient.

I'd be interested to hear how people use them.

I've never cooked with them before. I do really like them. One of the pizza places that we used to eat at 10 years ago used to have a pizza with these on it. They used a white sauce. Fantastic!

I've never cooked with them before. I do really like them. One of the pizza places that we used to eat at 10 years ago used to have a pizza with these on it. They used a white sauce. Fantastic!

Hey - a white sauce on pizza? Was it a white cheese sauce? I've never heard of this but it could be very interesting.

Wouldn't the sauce dry out too quickly in the oven? go crusty? I've played with shavings of Comté on herb breads and they bubble and spread about in the oven. Not sure what a sauce would do under those conditions.

But I don't mind having a go ...

Hey - a white sauce on pizza? Was it a white cheese sauce? I've never heard of this but it could be very interesting.

I believe it was a chicken alfredo pizza with palm hearts.

Wouldn't the sauce dry out too quickly in the oven? go crusty? I've played with shavings of Comté on herb breads and they bubble and spread about in the oven. Not sure what a sauce would do under those conditions.

But I don't mind having a go ...

No sir. It didn't dry out at all.

I've had them in salads. I didn't realize, you can slice them and pop out the centers, and have little rings. I can see the rings on top of a pizza. Good idea.

Faux Calamari (cute)
I bet the little Rings would be good dipped in bleu cheese dressing

https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/heart-of-palm-calamari/

You can skewer the stalks w cherry or grape tomatoes, mozzarella balls and chunks of onion, w a vinaigrette dressing. Nice for a party.

Last edited:
I've had them in salads. I didn't realize, you can slice them and pop out the centers, and have little rings. I can see the rings on top of a pizza. Good idea.

Faux Calamari (cute)
I bet the little Rings would be good dipped in bleu cheese dressing

https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/heart-of-palm-calamari/

You can skewer the stalks w cherry or grape tomatoes, mozzarella balls and chunks of onion, w a vinaigrette dressing. Nice for a party.

All great ideas! I like the faux calamari concept.

Back
Top Bottom