Recipe Heaven and Earth (Himmel und Erde)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:13 PM
Himmel und Erde, literally means "heaven and earth". It is said that the apples are the 'heaven' because they come from the trees up in the sky, and the potatoes are the 'earth' because they come from the ground.

Some versions are made by mixing mashed potatoes with applesauce and it is very often served with blood sausage and topped with fried onions. I don't think there is a definitive recipe - this is just my contribution. This isn’t a recipe with precise measurements of ingredients. Help yourself to as much mashed potato, apple, onion rings and black pudding as you like!

fullsizeoutput_3d65.jpeg

Ingredients
  • Mashed potatoes
  • Apple (I used Pink Lady)
  • Black pudding slices
  • Onion
  • Milk
  • Flour
  • Paprika
  • Butter
  • Olive oil
  • Fresh sage leaves
Method
  1. Slice the apple across the diameter into fairly thick rounds.
  2. Heat butter and olive oil in a frying pan and add the apple rounds. Cook over a low heat, turning once, until the apple is tender and golden. This will take approx. 20 mins.
  3. Make the mashed potatoes however you like them. I added olive oil, cream and milk.
  4. Fry slices of black pudding for a few minutes on each side.
  5. Slice the onion into thin rings. Mix the flour with paprika, to taste,
  6. Dip each onion ring into milk, then the flour mix.
  7. Deep fry the onion rings for a few minutes until crisp and golden.
  8. Fry the sage leaves for a few seconds until crisp.
  9. Plate as desired. Drizzle the butter/oil from frying the apples over and around.
fullsizeoutput_3d64.jpeg

Last edited:
Quite an interesting collision of flavors here! If someone had asked me if I wanted to try a plate consisting of onion rings, mashed potatoes, black pudding, and apple slices, I would have suspected it was at a buffet consisting of 4 separate dishes. If I were to guess, I'd say the fried sage leaves tie it all together: they work with any of the 4 elements.

Quite an interesting collision of flavors here! If someone had asked me if I wanted to try a pl(a bate consisting of onion rings, mashed potatoes, black pudding, and apple slices, I would have suspected it was at a buffet consisting of 4 separate dishes. If I were to guess, I'd say the fried sage leaves tie it all together: they work with any of the 4 elements.

Well, apple and black pudding are quite classic together - a bit like pork and apple. Here, for example, Chef Bryn Williams pairs them with pork and beans:

https://linuxcentre.net/food/recipes/roastporkchopsandcri_86572/

And here 'boudin noir' with apples and mashed potatoes from Chef Aaron Barnett

https://www.starchefs.com/cook/reci...sage-roasted-apples-pommes-purees-and-mustard

And Nilki Segnit writes in her wonderful book: The Flavour Thesaurus:

Apple and Black Pudding
I first ate this simple combination in a Brasserie called Aux Charpentieres in the St Germain district of Paris. Once through the heavy door, you have to part a thick, faded velvet curtain to enter the dining room. This made me feel like Edmund stepping through the wardrobe into Narnia, except instead of arriving in a magical land of snow and ice and being seduced by Turkish delight, I arrived in a 1930's Parisian working men's cafe and was seduced by black pudding. Make this on a chilly Autumn night when you yearn for something satisfying but snappy. Choose an eating apple that will hold its shape, preferably a tangy one to offset the rich spiciness of the black pudding.

And Nilki Segnit writes in her wonderful book: The Flavour Thesaurus:
Thank you for reminding me that I own this book! I expect mine (the American version, called the he Flavor Thesaurus) will say "blood sausage" instead of "black pudding". Those of you who think I'm making a joke about an American version of the book:

20171130_The-Flavor-Thesaurus-EmilyDryden_FINAL-1.jpg

31-IMG_1246.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for reminding me that I own this book! I expect mine (the American version, called the he Flavor Thesaurus) will say "blood sausage" instead of "black pudding". Those of you who think I'm making a joke about an American version of the book:

20171130_The-Flavor-Thesaurus-EmilyDryden_FINAL-1.jpg

31-IMG_1246.jpg

Its a brilliant book and a 'must' for any serious home cook! And does it say 'blood sausage'?

Not a dish I'd like mg, although I need to buy some black pudding. I love that. With eggs and mushrooms. Is the black pudding ok for vegans? I would think not!????

Russ

Not a dish I'd like mg, although I need to buy some black pudding. I love that. With eggs and mushrooms. Is the black pudding ok for vegans? I would think not!????

Russ

No of course its no good for vegans. :laugh: Who said I was vegan? I like black pudding with eggs and mushrooms too as part of a full English breakfast.

Oops , I thought you were? Sorry, lol, ok , we could have brekky together then! Must be sat Nav,lol.

Russ

I post a lot of vegan recipes which is probably why you might have thought so. My son (who recently moved out) was vegan - so I learned to cook a lot of vegan food. @SatNavSaysStraightOn is vegan with eggs - some call that 'veggan'.

I'll eat almost anything, although I mostly stick to a vegetarian diet with seafood. Since oysters are my favourite food ever I don't think I'd make a good vegan!

I post a lot of vegan recipes which is probably why you might have thought so. My son (who recently moved out) was vegan - so I learned to cook a lot of vegan food. @SatNavSaysStraightOn is vegan with eggs - some call that 'veggan'.

I'll eat almost anything, although I mostly stick to a vegetarian diet with seafood. Since oysters are my favourite food ever I don't think I'd make a good vegan!
Ah, your son, that's what tripped me up. I too love oysters. Google bluff oysters. These are big succulent oysters. I like mine soaked in vinegar and lots of white pepper raw. Second is beer battered fried. Bluff is about 7 hr drive from me here in Christchurch. I've eaten oysters all over and you can't get better than a bluff oyster.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom