Hello from California

AgileMJOLNIR

Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
7:31 AM
Hi all - New to the forum and wanted to give a quick hello.

I’m absolutely obsessed with the culinary world and first took an interest in cooking around the age of 7yrs old. I dug up an old cookbook my mom had tucked away and went to town. It was an absolute disaster and my first introduction to deep frying. I was pretty determined after that to get it right, which I did and everything snowballed from there.

I’ve never worked as a chef but do consider myself a very knowledgeable home chef/cook. My earliest culinary inspirations were Julia Childs, Marco Pierre White, Lidia Bastainich and a local favorite here, Martin Yan.

I’ve been getting a little fancier with my cooking lately, working on plating etc. I like hunting out little known recipes from various regions of the world, locating the specific spices and then of course sharing what I’ve created. Whether African, Asian, Indian etc, I love the creation process and experimentation with texture and flavor.

Anyways I look forward to chatting with many of you and seeing your own creations!

Best,
Joseph

Welcome from Ohio (with family in LA)!

That’sa great introduction. You’ll be pleased to know we have some fantastic food stylists here, and cuisines from all over the world well-represented. I can’t wait to see your contributions!

Make sure you look at our current challenge (potatoes), our dish of the month (fondue) and our seasonal topic (Halloween) and jump right in.

Welcome AgileMJOLNIR :welcome: from rainy Maidstone, Kent in the UK.

I’ve been getting a little fancier with my cooking lately, working on plating etc. I like hunting out little known recipes from various regions of the world, locating the specific spices and then of course sharing what I’ve created. Whether African, Asian, Indian etc, I love the creation process and experimentation with texture and flavor.

I also like to work on plating and love all kinds of spices. In fact I don't think there is a spice I don't like. I've not heard of Martin Yan but will look him up...

Welcome from Ohio (with family in LA)!

That’sa great introduction. You’ll be pleased to know we have some fantastic food stylists here, and cuisines from all over the world well-represented. I can’t wait to see your contributions!

Make sure you look at our current challenge (potatoes), our dish of the month (fondue) and our seasonal topic (Halloween) and jump right in.
Will do and thanks Reuben!

Welcome AgileMJOLNIR :welcome: from rainy Maidstone, Kent in the UK.

I also like to work on plating and love all kinds of spices. In fact I don't think there is a spice I don't like. I've not heard of Martin Yan but will look him up...
I’m exactly the same. I’ve got a collection of spices I’ve had to bottle in my own glass containers, label and alphabetize just to keep track of them all and make sure they get used before they leech all their flavor. Good thing I cook a lot:wink:

Where in the Bay Area are you? I'm a transplant from Napa/Solano, my cooking partner was captain of the Dansville FD.
Not too far, I’m closer on the Peninsula (San Mateo). I do go to Napa a somewhat often when I get a wine craving though:wink:

Back
Top Bottom