Help choose 'Dish of the month' for October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:31 PM
'Dish of the Month' focusses on an accessible and generic dish, so that members can join in, cook and post the results. Its non competitive. So far we have had frittata/omelettes, burgers, pizza, tortilla based dishes (included tacos), savoury pies, pasta salad, pancakes/waffles, gratins, kebabs, meatloaf, chilli, risotto, macaroni cheese, potato salad, dumplings, quiche/savoury tart and currently, stuffed peppers.

New suggestions are welcome but it needs to be a dish with fairly easily available ingredients in our various countries and a dish which offers the chance for different interpretations. Past suggestions have included eggs Benedict/royale, Yorkshire puddings/popovers, pho, sushi, chocolate cake.

We will make a decision based on which dish gets most mentions, so please join in and support a suggestion or come up with another idea. Suggestions for dishes shouldn't be too generic. It needs to be the name of a dish rather than a cooking style.

Last edited:
I don't mind fondue either. I have a vegan version and I reckon I could get beer into it as all... and hubby wants me to make some more vegan beer pretzels which would dip excellently.

I'd also love to have an excuse to make a roule again. I've got a great spinach and ricotta with pine nuts one that I could veganise.

Just a note/question. Doesn't hotpot mean something very different in Europe and Asia? That might be confusing.

CD

In many Asian countries, hotpot is a communal meal where you dip raw meats into very hot broths to cook.

1664422396290.jpeg

CD

In many Asian countries, hotpot is a communal meal where you dip raw meats into very hot broths to cook.

CD

My wife calls that "Vietnam Hotpot".

I remember a Vietnamese restaurant in Kuala Lumpur where the "hotpot" soup dish was surrounded by a frying area. I can't remember what that was called.

Well as hotpot can mean two very different things we will count them as separate suggestions. I think Windigo meant the European version as in Yorky's photo.

So - to date we have:

Fondue
European Hotpot
Asian hotpot (no positives so far but a mention)
Roulé

Well as hotpot can mean two very different things we will count them as separate suggestions. I think Windigo meant the European version as in Yorky's photo.

So - to date we have:

Fondue
European Hotpot
Asian hotpot (no positives so far but a mention)
Roulé

Just to clarify, fondue is normally hot cheese into which you dip other morsels is it not?. I've had that type of fondue in the past but my experience generally has been a pot of hot oil used for cooking meat which is then coated in some form of sauce. Are we talking of either/or?

Just to clarify, fondue is normally hot cheese into which you dip other morsels is it not?. I've had that type of fondue in the past but my experience generally has been a pot of hot oil used for cooking meat which is then coated in some form of sauce. Are we talking of either/or?

I was assuming the cheese type as in Swiss fondue. Not sure what you are describing exactly...

But there are chocolate fondues in which you dip fruit etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom