Help choosing a blender

LissaC

Legendary Member
Local time
9:52 AM
I'm considering buying a blender. My food processor doesn't do a great job at pureeing tomatoes or blending almonds for my almond milk. Since I'm spending money on a new kitchen appliance, I'm considering buying something that can also puree coconut, if I can get something like that within my price range. I'm trying to stay under 70€ for this.

Here in Portugal I can find some blenders below that price with 1000W and 1200W. These are supposed to be considered high speed blenders, but do all blenders with this power puree coconut? For the blenders I'm seeing, I'm not finding any reviews that mention pureeing coconut. Any advice?

Any advice?
Yes Bosch, I have the set as pictured below. Every day I put a rock of frozen cottage cheese, six frozen figs, one frozen banana and a cup of unsweetened soya milk into the goblet. A minute later perfect smoothie.

That seems on the low end of prices for good blenders. I have a KitchenAid, which may or may not be available there. It was considerably more than that, but it can blend pretty much anything. However, there are blenders that cost twice as much as mine. I don't think they are twice as good, though.

As for coconut, I assume you mean the meat, with no hull. If so, I know my KA would easily do it. I've used mine a lot for frozen drinks, and ice cubes are really tough on a blender.

The best advice I can give you is that a cheap blender will cost more in the long run, because you will have to replace it before long. I learned that the hard way. A blender is NOT something to buy on the cheap.

I wish I could be more helpful, but I don't know what you can and can not buy where you live. Just don't go "cheap." Spend more if you have to in order to get a blender that will last.

CD

Yes Bosch, I have the set as pictured below. Every day I put a rock of frozen cottage cheese, six frozen figs, one frozen banana and a cup of unsweetened soya milk into the goblet. A minute later perfect smoothie.

Ah, yes. I have a Bosch dishwasher (19 years old), and a tool cabinet full of Bosch power tools. Good brand.

CD

Thank you both Burt Blank and caseydog. I don't think I will be using the blender intensively, maybe not even once a week. I will probably use it for making tomato sauce, almond and coconut milk. Pureeing coconut is more of a nice to have, I'm willing to pay a bit more to have that feature, but not a lot more though. A couple weeks ago my grandmother lend me her blender and it did a nice job with the tomato and the almond milk and it's a 30€ blender my aunt got her from Lidl.

Bosch is a brand that's easily available here in Portugal, need to look that up next time I go shopping.

The best advice I can give you is that a cheap blender will cost more in the long run, because you will have to replace it before long. I learned that the hard way. A blender is NOT something to buy on the cheap.
With regard to spending for quality up front, I like the old saying, "Buy once, cry once." :)

Thank you both Burt Blank and caseydog. I don't think I will be using the blender intensively, maybe not even once a week. I will probably use it for making tomato sauce, almond and coconut milk. Pureeing coconut is more of a nice to have, I'm willing to pay a bit more to have that feature, but not a lot more though. A couple weeks ago my grandmother lend me her blender and it did a nice job with the tomato and the almond milk and it's a 30€ blender my aunt got her from Lidl.

Bosch is a brand that's easily available here in Portugal, need to look that up next time I go shopping.

Have you got a stick blender? I use mine a lot and don't own any other type of blender. A good stick blender can blitz a lot of things and its super easy to clean. Simply rinse the stick under a tap.

If you want something that can literally blitz anything you are talking big money. That is Vitamix territory... the prices are frightening.

I recently bought a Ninja Auto IQ Kitchen System that comes with a blender, food processor and smoothie attachments. I love it - very powerful and so far does everything I have tried. Pulverizes ice, chops/grinds raw meat, great for smoothies using fresh/frozen fruits and normal blending/Puree functions.

The model I purchased was quite a bit more than 70 euros however, they do have stand alone blender models in the 70 euro range or a bit more (if my conversion is correct)

Ninja Professional Blender

Ninja Professional Blender

Morning Glory my stick blender is easily the kitchen appliance that gets more love from me, I use it to make coconut milk and my yogurts. But it can't puree coconut, it does a poor job with my almond milk and for making tomato sauce in large quantities it gets messy. Yes, Vitamix territory is scary and I don't want to go there...

Thanks Backbay the Ninja blender looks like a good option, need to research it better, the options I'm finding in my country are more expensive.

Am considering this one now. Slightly over my budget but has really good reviews.

I think it all comes down on how much I want to spend. I don't like smoothies or soups so I won't be using it intensively and a cheap model can do the work (the blender my grandmother lend me costs 30€ and it worked for the coconut milk, almond milk and tomato sauce). But in the long run if I want to grind nuts or cook soup something more powerful may be handy.

Am considering this one now. Slightly over my budget but has really good reviews.

I think it all comes down on how much I want to spend. I don't like smoothies or soups so I won't be using it intensively and a cheap model can do the work (the blender my grandmother lend me costs 30€ and it worked for the coconut milk, almond milk and tomato sauce). But in the long run if I want to grind nuts or cook soup something more powerful may be handy.
In my experience, you'll rarely regret spending a bit more, but you'll always regret spending a bit less.

Think about the price difference between that and a cheaper model, then think, "What does that extra money buy me?" - then think of it in terms of that. Maybe that blender is a nice meal out more expensive than the cheaper one. Ask yourself, "Am I willing to sacrifice one night one for a better blender, something I can use again and again and again?"

I ended up ordering this one. I got slightly discounted, it was still 17€ over budget but has tons of good reviews and people say it's able to grind nuts, which isn't the same as coconut, but it's promising. Anyway I'm hoping I'll be able to grind the almond pulp I get from making almond milk and turn into almond meal, I'm at loss as to what to do with the almond pulp that I get from making the milk, I could only find one recipe that I like so far, almond meal gives me more options.

Back
Top Bottom