Help for my boring breakfasts

Lostvalleyguy

Veteran
Local time
9:17 PM
For most meals, I have a good selection of things that I cook. As I am cooking for myself, I like quick and easy meals but I do mix it up a bit when I feel I need variety. My breakfasts, on the other hand, are repetitive and dull.

I am looking for wholesome options that are not too time intensive as I like to get going in the morning. My most common breakfast is simply Coffee, A banana, and oatmeal. I like this, but 7 days a week gets a bit much. I am not a fan of eggs (no allergy just don't like the taste) so that limits my options a bit.

Just a simple sandwich? A slice of bread, some butter, meat (which ever you prefer), cheese and some vegetables, such as cucumber or tomatoes.
Fast, easy and obviously you have a lot of different options by changing the meat, cheese and vegetables which you use.

Also youghurt is something to think about. Lots of different varieties, takes absolutely no time at all and is a great source of calcium.

I'm a big fan of English muffins. For me, there is nothing quite like a hot English muffin with a little butter and jam. Breakfast is my most skipped meal. I'm really terrible about not eating in the morning even though I know that I should. I generally don't like really heavy breakfasts (if I want a heavy breakfast, I'll just make breakfast for dinner). Have you thought about maybe hot granola with some fruit like cranberries or blueberries? I've also read about cold oatmeal in the summer but I haven't tried it yet. I tend to eat a lot of Greek yogurt with fruit. I find that the Greek variety is a little more filling (and better for you) than the plain old sugary stuff. I like plain Greek yogurt with a little honey and walnuts or granola thrown in. You could also make a really easy smoothie with some Greek yogurt and fruit!

One of my favorite hearty breakfast choices are these pancakes. (Note: that is my recipe and I wrote the article.)

This requires prep time in advance, but I do it all the time because I have kids. You can whip up a batch on a Sunday afternoon (or double the batch) and put them in the fridge or freezer. They are super easy to pop in the toaster for a quick breakfast on the go, and since you like oatmeal, you'd love them. They have a bit more bulk to them than a typical Bisquick pancake, and certainly last longer with me than a bowl of oatmeal.

Either slather peanut butter on them and eat on the run, or sit down and fix them with syrup and a fruit topping.

Well clairebeautiful, I am definitely going to try these pancakes. The only thing I don't have in the house right now is almond flour and it is now on my list. I like the idea of making a batch and being able to freeze them. My modification will be to add blueberries to the batch as I usually have a bunch in the freezer from picking each year.

I would recommend you another simple one. Toasted bread with butter and honey. I used to have those regularly in the past and they were awesome. I found that these honey sandwiches also go very well with morning coffee. :D

Well clairebeautiful, I am definitely going to try these pancakes. The only thing I don't have in the house right now is almond flour and it is now on my list. I like the idea of making a batch and being able to freeze them. My modification will be to add blueberries to the batch as I usually have a bunch in the freezer from picking each year.

OOh. That would be good. I got away from putting berries RIGHT in the batter and just putting them on top, but this batter is thick enough that blueberries would be perfect and probably wouldn't burn. I get my almond flour at Trader Joe's (it just went from $4 to $5 for 16oz) but I've seen it on Amazon for cheaper and might be going this route from now on.

If you have quinoa you can do that instead of almond flour (just put it in cooked, not raw) and it will add the same protein boost that I was going for. Different flavor though... if you aren't a fan of quinoa you might not like it, but it is more bearable to me if I blend the cooked quinoa with the milk in the recipe first (that way you can't feel the individual pieces).

You can try french toast, some breakfast hash or eat some yogurt. My quick go to breakfast is yogurt with some granola sprinkled on top. I was in the instant oatmeal funk and it gets old fast!

Porridge is a great way to start the day as it is very filling and comforting, but it is best to accompany it with many vegetables and fruits as well since it is mostly carbohydrates. You can look up many types of recipes online for it depending on what suits your taste, as it can be made with pretty much any protein like beef or chicken.

Back
Top Bottom