Help needed re: malai kofta?

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
11:45 PM
My wife always orders this and has asked me to replicate it, I've done some research and came across paneer and also cottage cheese. She's says it vegetarian ? Does anyone know of a good recipe or steer me in the right direction. The reason I ask here is I prefer someone that's done it. Any help?????

Russ

Kofta means 'balls' (often meatballs). Malai kofta are vegetarian meatballs made with paneer cheese & potatoes served in a creamy sauce - 'malai' means creamy. There really is no one recipe - the spices added to the 'balls' will vary so replicating what you get in a particular restaurant is going to be difficult. You would need to taste it & try work it out or ask the restaurant! I've not made Malai Kofta before but it is on a list of 'to does' somewhere. If I get a chance I'll have a go.

Apparently the sauce can be tomato based or a 'white' gravy - this I didn't know until I just looked it up.

You can easily make your own paneer from whole milk and vinegar/lemon juice - it takes about 10 minutes plus straining & pressing. Any reference to cottage cheese is a confusion - paneer is sometimes called that but is nothing like the cottage cheese you buy in tubs. Paneer is a firm cheese that can be cut into chunks.

Last edited:
Kofta means 'balls' (often meatballs). Malai kofta are vegetarian meatballs made with paneer cheese & potatoes served in a creamy sauce - 'malai' means creamy. There really is no one recipe - the spices added to the 'balls' will vary so replicating what you get in a particular restaurant is going to be difficult. You would need to taste it & try work it out or ask the restaurant! I've not made Malai Kofta before but it is on a list of 'to does' somewhere. If I get a chance I'll have a go.

Apparently the sauce can be tomato based or a 'white' gravy - this I didn't know until I just looked it up.

You can easily make your own paneer from whole milk and vinegar/lemon juice - it takes about 10 minutes plus straining & pressing. Any reference to cottage cheese is a confusion - paneer is sometimes called that but is nothing like the cottage cheese you buy in tubs. Paneer is a firm cheese that can be cut into chunks.
That's a big help so far, thanks.

Russ

Ok I've realised its paneer, I'll research that and try a few ways of doing that. A creamy sauce I think I can do something close??? How do you make your paneer and is it Spicy morning glory

Russ

Back
Top Bottom