Help w/ roast beef / roast turkey / gravy

pajaydog

Local time
3:36 PM
Hello! I have been searching for several years for help with this topic. My grandmother made the most delicious roast beef, roast turkey, and gravy. Unfortunately, when she passed away in the early 90's she took most of her cooking knowledge with her. I have been trying ever since to replicate some of the things she made. Her gravies were always a very dark orange/brown color, they had the most amazing flavor as did the roast beef and turkey. I have looked at many recipes, watched numerous videos but nothing is exactly what i am looking for. I have been able to get close in flavor making roast beef gravy, but no where close in color. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!

Ciao e Benvenuto,
Is difficult for answer, each have different way of do things. For beef I use meat juice, red wine, an make good beef stock an make thick with Butter an flour mix.
Sarana x

Hello! I have been searching for several years for help with this topic. My grandmother made the most delicious roast beef, roast turkey, and gravy. Unfortunately, when she passed away in the early 90's she took most of her cooking knowledge with her. I have been trying ever since to replicate some of the things she made. Her gravies were always a very dark orange/brown color, they had the most amazing flavor as did the roast beef and turkey. I have looked at many recipes, watched numerous videos but nothing is exactly what i am looking for. I have been able to get close in flavor making roast beef gravy, but no where close in color. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!
Ciao
Also if no understand how your Nonna make an ingredient she use it become very difficult. May I suggest instead try copy make attempt at own. I one Christmas make gravy recipe off Jamie Oliver, I say it very good. I Napulitano so we make little gravy as in most Europe, my husband mama have to show me.
This Jamie Oliver one.
Christmas gravy recipe | Jamie Oliver Christmas recipes

Sarana x

Ciao
Also if no understand how your Nonna make an ingredient she use it become very difficult. May I suggest instead try copy make attempt at own. I one Christmas make gravy recipe off Jamie Oliver, I say it very good. I Napulitano so we make little gravy as in most Europe, my husband mama have to show me.
This Jamie Oliver one.
Christmas gravy recipe | Jamie Oliver Christmas recipes

Sarana x
Thank you Sarana, I will check it out!

I buy tin mix now, just coz I'm getting lazy,lol. But I add Vegemite and a bit of fat drippings from the roast. I make it the way my mum taught me on special occasions. Takes longer but it's more traditional.

Russ

The only thing I can think of that would give an orange colour would be tomato purée, often used in beef gravy.

Cooking juices are the base for any gravy, cooking the meat on a trivet of vegetables (onion, garlic, celery, carrot, fennel, herbs etc) will enhance this. When the meat is cooked, remove it to rest and add hot water to the roating tin, preferably water that vegetables have cooked in. Boil up, scraping any burnt bits into the liquid, then strain and skim off excess fat. Pour into a saucepan, and start playing. For turkey gravy I would suggest adding white wine, Dijon mustard, possibly drop in some sage leaves or fresh thyme, then thicken. For beef gravy go for red wine, bolder unami flavours such as Marmite, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, even soy sauce can help, along with tomato purée, demi glace and bone marrow. Otherwise stock concentrate cubes can help, plus seasoning of course. Constant tasting is the key, along with a good knowledge of recovery techniques for when you overdo something, but that is another subject.

Back
Top Bottom